Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates and BBQ?

Hi guys,

I do like the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set in my Dean Evo Deluxe, but have been thinking maybe I could get rid of some of the dark edge with switching up to Duncan Pearly Gates. Are there any big PG users on the forum?

Does the Alnico II magnet impact the ability of the pickup to be punchy? I am assuming not since many heavy pro players use the Pearly Gates.

Thanks!

Re: Pearly Gates and BBQ?

the pg is plenty punchy!! ive seen straight out metal players using the pg and getting great tones. one of my main gigging axes has a pair of pg's. i run it into marshall or fender tube amps and get many compliments on my tone

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, as I don't have an alnico II magnet equipped pickup as a point of reference. I think Skrape, Godsmack, System of a Down are all PG users so it seems they are super versatile and seem hotter than their numbers.

Comment

I'm an avid fan of the PG's in a Paul. Lots of punch and clarity. Other guitarists can't beleive that it's not a distortion class pickup, even when I switch from my Yamaha with a Custom to the LP with the Pearly's.

Try it. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I guess I always think back to what a guy onthe Hamer board mentioned to me. He said he was a PG user for about 10 years till he found the Rio BBQ and never looked back. I know it is just his opinion, but it stood out in my head.

Comment

BBQ vs PG! Not a fair comparison, PG rips the BBQ apart. Period!

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
              BBQ vs PG! Not a fair comparison, PG rips the BBQ apart. Period!

B
              Cool, thanks Doc! That's what I needed. I trust your opinion.....

Hey, what if I threw the C-5 into the mix? How is it different from the Pearly Gates in a Les Paul? I only ask because of all these pickups...the PG is the one I have yet to test.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey, I was being a little sarcastic. BBQ is a fine pickup for what it does.

They are different, differnt construction, different magnets, different wires, ... The only thing common to both is the texas sizzle whatever that should mean.

BBQ is fine yeah, but compressed, not as open as a PAF clone (like PG). You definitely gotta try a PG in your LP, especially because I remember you complaining about the brightness of the BBpro's with RSKit, no? And I think you gotta stop trying higher output pickups and give PG a shot.

B
                Last edited by dr.barlo; 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM.
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                  Hey, I was being a little sarcastic. BBQ is a fine pickup for what it does.

They are different, differnt construction, different magnets, different wires, ... The only thing common to both is the texas sizzle whatever that should mean.
                  The BBQ seems medium output.

BBQ is fine yeah, but compressed, not as open as a PAF clone (like PG). You definitely gotta try a PG in your LP, especially because I remember you complaining about the brightness of the BBpro's with RSKit, no? And I think you gotta stop trying higher output pickups and give PG a shot.

B
                  Interesting and thanks! I'll have to find a PG. Have you ever compared it to the C-5? I have heard the PG can be bright; odd?

I do play mostly heavy music and I like a thick tone...so the BBQ/Texas has served me well.

I look for a fat, round bottom, punchy, but not boomy, thick mids, and smooth highs and some may call this rolled back highs. I find this in my PRS McCarty with stock pickups....which is why I get worried about changing the McCarty pickups even though I think they need a kick in the pants.

Comment

i believe that one of the guys from sevendust also use the PG ... i'm not certain though.
                    -Greg

Guitars:
                    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Hey bro! I have no problem cutting through my Texas/BBQ loaded LP. Just turn up the presence and treble a tad on your amp and you should be good to go!
                      :afro:

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01
                        i believe that one of the guys from sevendust also use the PG ... i'm not certain though.
                        I thought it was a CC? Maybe a PGn?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                          Hi guys,

I do like the Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set in my Dean Evo Deluxe, but have been thinking maybe I could get rid of some of the dark edge with switching up to Duncan Pearly Gates. Are there any big PG users on the forum?

Does the Alnico II magnet impact the ability of the pickup to be punchy? I am assuming not since many heavy pro players use the Pearly Gates.

Thanks!
                          Rich,

What up! I like the PG neck a WHOLE lot. Never have tried the bridge.

Realize that although the PG is a great pickup, it is a vintage output pickup. That obviously means that if you are used to a BBQ bridge, a PG bridge will be a BIG drop in output and warmth.

The PG neck may work with the BBQ bridge (I tried that combo - it was pretty cool, but the neck still seemed slightly anemic when switching from the BBQ).

From what I understand about your taste, I don't think you are going to be happy with a PG bridge. It is a lot brighter and a bit thinner than the more "powerful" bridge buckers like the Custom family, JB, or BBQ.

The PG neck is probably my favorite Duncan neck pickup. Especially in a warm guitar. But it's best match to my ears in a bridge bucker is more along the lines of a JB. The PG bridge is quite a bit lower in output than that.

Although many players really like similarly voiced and powered pickups in both positions, it has never worked for me. The bridge always sounds too thin to my ears.

But, hey ya never know until you try for yourself!

Good luck!

Peace.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                          buggjuice.net
                          MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mac, I am checking out some True Tone humbuckers and it will be back to the BBQ/Texas if all else fails.

What pot/cap values are you using with the BBQ/Texas?

Comment

Working...
                            X