What do you use for a work bench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use for a work bench?

I am planning on doing my first pickup change and need to find a good work bench. Any recommendations? Do you just build your own, or can I buy one? Thanks,

Sean
    Fender U.S. Strat Ultra (in the mail: Fralin P.A.F./Kinman Woodstock/Kinman Woodstock)
    Ibanez RG 560

Peavey 5150 1/2 Stack

Boss Giga Delay
    Boss Metal Zone
    Boss Super Chorus
    Dunlop Crybaby
    Ibanez Tube Screamer

Re: What do you use for a work bench?

On the carpeted floor and it`s free
    57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
    62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
    Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
    Baby Taylor
    sigpic

Comment

I just went to my local Menards this weekend and bought a $50 wooden workbench. I had to put it together myself, but it's real NICE for the money.

Comment

Just don't use your lap! I have a wicked scar from a sodering iron to prove that it is a bad idea.

More recently I've just been using a desk (anything that is long enough for the guitar an a little extra room to set down your iron). I lay down some bubble wrap so that the guitar doesn't get scratched when I flip it over.

Comment

Originally posted by JALIN
          On the carpeted floor and it`s free
          I have the burn marks to prove it...

Comment

I am one of those weird people who keep their garage somewhat organized - that includes my wooden bench that I built
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I live in an apartment, so I don't really have a good work area. When I do work on my guitar I do it on a footlocker I used in college. Ideally, I'd get off my lazy butt and get some plywood to put on a card table or something and then I could actually sit in a chair and do the work on a surface I don't mind damaging.

Comment

Use my old dinnertable, and a foam plate covered with some old soft towles.
                I wish it was taller, as I like to stand up and work on my guitars.

Comment

i live in an apartment as well so i dont have a basement and my garage has the bike and other crap in it so theres no room so i do it on the table, i have one of those guitar pads with the neck holder so i push all the crap off the table and put that on. i keep an ash tray near by to knock extra solder into

Comment

I'm like Stevo . . . "somewhat" organized garage, with a bench I built, covered in grey carpet. Works great.

Comment

Somewhere perched between a bedside table/desk and bed in my uni flat.

I have a reminder here for those in a similar position not to accidentally leave a soldering iron on before getting into bed.
                      Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
                      Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                      Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

What - nobody else uses the kitchen counter? Corian is pretty tuff stuff, the lighting is good, and the height is right for working while standing up.

I put the guitar on a big wooden cutting board with a thick cotton placemat as a cushion.

I did learn the hard way that the beer needs to stay in refridgerator until after the soldering is complete

Chip
                        Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                        Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                        SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                        SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                        "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by sean hood
                          I am planning on doing my first pickup change and need to find a good work bench. Any recommendations? Do you just build your own, or can I buy one? Thanks,

Sean
                          I have a huge wooded kitchen table that I lay a towel across...I work on the towel and I have room enough still to have components and other things on the table with me to keep from walking back and forth for stuff....I'd like to actually have a work bench out in my garage,but here in Florida it's way too hot to spend anytime in the garage with the heat and humidity we get...

John
                          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I either use the floor, or if I'm soldering, I use a Black & Decker Workmate 425 I picked up at Home Depot for somewhere between $50 and $100. I'm in a townhouse and there is zero storage here (anyone ever hear of closets? Jeesh!), but it folds up nicely for storage under a sofa.
                            This machine kills fascists

Comment

I just lay a beach towel across the coffee table and keep the tools and soldering iron AWAY from the leather sofa. The most important thing is to have a small soft towel to put on the guitar's body, so pickups and tools don't fall across the top. That's my workstation. My girlfriend loves it.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X