Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Board - LP Classic Neck PU?

Originally posted by Benjy_26

I know I'm probably missing the boat, but till I can scrounge up some cash, the PG's will have to do.
    there is just something so special about them. I don't know what all seymour does to them but whatever it is it works. get some cash together and get a set of any of them. they are worth every penny and then some.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
      there is just something so special about them. I don't know what all seymour does to them but whatever it is it works. get some cash together and get a set of any of them. they are worth every penny and then some.

I just might do it.

By any chance, do you know if the Custom Shop will underwind a neck antiquity humbucker and overwind the bridge?
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Darrin, thanks for throwing your two cents in. Good info. Thanks to everyone who replied. Seems I've got the antiquity lovers responding. Is there anyone who has tried the antiquities and liked something else better? How do the other pickups compare? Seriously, the APH-1 was what lead me to this board. The Seth Lover and Antiquity are appealing, except for no wax potting, but I read that not many have had any problems with that. The Pearly Gates look good, but I honestly didn't consider them much because of the tone I heard on a Lone Star Strat with a PG in the bridge. Talking about treble spike. Ugh. But that's not a LP. How do these other pickups compare to the antiquity?
        -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
        -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Well, I'll plug the APH set. I have them in a Dean Hardtail, and in that same hardtail I've had the PG and the Seth in the neck. The Seth was damn good, but I just love the smooth, creamy tone of the APH, both clean and dirty. No matter how much gain I throw at it, the sound remains articulate. The Seth was a close second, it had a tad more edge to it, but in a good way. As for the PG, I just can't get along with it. The upper mids are just harsh to my ear, but that's just personal preference. I've also had 59' neck pups, and they are too bright on the top end, and too boomy on the bottom for me.

The only neck pup in the PAF range that I haven't tried is the Antiquity. When I purchase my LP in a few months, I have a set of Antiquities planned for it. The only other PAF's I would consider are the Seths, APH's, and a custom shop set of Slash pups. They sound interesting to me because they are scatter wound on Antiquity hardware. If you want true vintage smoothness, the Antiquities are the ticket for sure. If you want that same smoothness with an added touch of sweet, go for the APH's.

There's 2 shiney pennies from me to rub together.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Cool, man. Nice insight. Enjoyed your clips. That APH does sound nice w/overdrive. Too bad you can't purchase 5 neck pickups, try em all and keep the one you like, returning all the rest for a refund! I'm guessing I'm just gonna havta try em and see what fits me.

Comment

Originally posted by NT02
              The Pearly Gates look good, but I honestly didn't consider them much because of the tone I heard on a Lone Star Strat with a PG in the bridge. Talking about treble spike. Ugh. But that's not a LP. How do these other pickups compare to the antiquity?

You tried the PG+, which is a way different animal from the PG. THe regular Pg has an alnico II magnet, while the PG+ has an alnico V, which accounts for the more pronounced treble response you heard in the PG+.

The PG has more mids and less highs, but is still very transparent, due to the mismatched coils. THe high mids are more prominent with the PG than the APH, but if you loke more rude than smooth, the PG is tops.

BTW, I have an APH in my CArvin's neck spot (very bright guitar) and I love it. I just like the PG set in a LP better.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Cool. I tried your gear link to see what kind of Carvin you have with no luck. I have an 89 V220 myself. Black, all original. Love that guitar. All maple, very bright, but a blast to play.

Comment

Working...
                X