Duncan Distortion!!!????!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion!!!????!!!!

As some of you know, I recently acquired an older Hamer Studio FM that came loaded with a pair of EMG 60's. While I like the output and punch of these pickups, I'm not all that fond of the basic tonality of them and have been thinking of swapping them out. My inital thought were to install an APH/Custom set and leave it at that. Last night though, I was listening to some CD's with my friend and he threw on an old Ozzy Osbourn record with Randy Rhodes playing guitar.

I like the tone.

Would getting a set of distortions in the Hamer get me a good balance of tones and that super aggressive sound I heard on "Crazy Train"? I plan on splitting the pickups (I always do with 'buckers). How do the Duncan Distortions sound split? Maybe I should put something cleaner in the neck?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Duncan Distortion!!!????!!!!

I absolutely loved Randy as a player but was never crazy about his tone. I have been able to get his tone with a variety of pickups however assuming the amp is set correctly. I would thnk you'll be fine with the Distortions since I believe Randy used those quite a bit. The rest will have to come from the guitar, amp, and you.

Comment

I believe Randy used a Distortion/Jazz set. It's not very hard to get near or even nail his tone you know. All you need is a high output pick up in a mahogany axe with a Marshall (-voiced) amp. I've been able to get there with my V-Amp 2, but I also never cared for his tone. I just really respect him and love his style of playing
      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

my dd sounds like a strat bridge split, except maybe a bit thinner and harsher. I'm fine with it. A DD split sounds great clean.
        dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Ok, mayhap I spoke incorrectly. I'm not wild about the tone per se, I like the aggressiveness of it. I'm guessing the DD will cover that end, right?

Also, do you guys know of any other recordings or artists that use the DD? I just want to have an idea of what this pickup can really do.

Thank you all for the information, gentlemen.

Comment

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ts/users.shtml

Three ways to search listed on that page. Use the third.

Humbuckers --> Duncan Distortion

It's all there :thumbsup:

Bee
            Originally posted by Kanye West
            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Wow, my playing style has nothing in common with those artists.

Comment

Which is why you should re-invent the face of the pickups reputation!

Bee
                  Originally posted by Kanye West
                  Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Good point.

Comment

I got the Distortion because Randy used one. Now it is my all time favorite pickup. I wouldn't hesitate to put it in a Hamer (I've got 4, 2 of which will have the Distortion here in a little bit). I would say that a DD/Jazz or a DD/59 would work really well in that guitar.
                      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                      X