JB with double-row Allen-head pole pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB with double-row Allen-head pole pieces

What would be the difference in tone be between a standard JB trembucker and one that had it's screw and slug pole pieces replaced with Allen-head pole pieces (a la Full Shred)? Based on several threads I've read here over the last few months, some think that pole pieces have little to do with the tone while others claim that Allen-head poles provide more clarity and better bass response. I'd like to hear any comments you guys have about it. Also, could this pickup be had at regular price ordered as a Shop Floor Custom or would it be strictly custom shop job? Thanks.
    My Gear:
    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Re: JB with double-row Allen-head pole pieces

Originally posted by Leather Rebel
    What would be the difference in tone be between a standard JB trembucker and one that had it's screw and slug pole pieces replaced with Allen-head pole pieces (a la Full Shred)? Based on several threads I've read here over the last few months, some think that pole pieces have little to do with the tone while others claim that Allen-head poles provide more clarity and better bass response. I'd like to hear any comments you guys have about it. Also, could this pickup be had at regular price ordered as a Shop Floor Custom or would it be strictly custom shop job? Thanks.
    it will be tighter,more focused,that actual tone may be a touch brighter as well.

Comment

Dimarzio does this for most of their pickups as far as I know....

Comment

Originally posted by WARRENLEELYNCH
        it will be tighter,more focused,that actual tone may be a touch brighter as well.
        i think thats about right, i have a 17k c5 with allen head poles and it has a nice focused bottom end on a pup that has a BIG bottom

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
          i think thats about right, i have a 17k c5 with allen head poles and it has a nice focused bottom end on a pup that has a BIG bottom
          That's right , i have a C5 bridge and changing 6 regular screws for 6 allen one from a Humbucker from hell did turn this mellow bucker into a perfect metal machine : tighter basses , perfect midds and screaming treebles , harmonics everwhere and faster pick attack : a dream and the end off an expensive quest .
          And for my screaming demon neck i have changed the black screw to the same dimarzio one witch are better , and put regular screws toward the neck , and i get what i wanted : a Jazz neck on steroïds !!!!
          Attack , definition and harmonics , sustain off course , the quest is over for me , thanks to Seymour and to all off you tone freaks :fing25:

Comment

Also, could this pickup be had at regular price ordered as a Shop Floor Custom or would it be strictly custom shop job?
            I'm sure that would be looked at as a shop floor custom ...

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut
              That's right , i have a C5 bridge and changing 6 regular screws for 6 allen one from a Humbucker from hell did turn this mellow bucker into a perfect metal machine : tighter basses , perfect midds and screaming treebles , harmonics everwhere and faster pick attack : a dream and the end off an expensive quest .
              And for my screaming demon neck i have changed the black screw to the same dimarzio one witch are better , and put regular screws toward the neck , and i get what i wanted : a Jazz neck on steroïds !!!!
              Attack , definition and harmonics , sustain off course , the quest is over for me , thanks to Seymour and to all off you tone freaks :fing25:
              sounds very interesting... the bass is the rason i wouldn't try a c5.
              Jazz on steroiids sounds very kewl. I want this! Would this demon neck match to a jb? I think duncan need a hotter bright neck pu! Maybe that is the way.
              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
              TS 7 (modded)
              Hot Rod 50+ XL
              Framus Dragon 4x12
              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut
                Question. How did you change out the screws in your pup? Did you change all of them or just the ones that can be unscrewed? Sounds kind of neat hehe, I may like to try it some day. =).

Comment

Damn, is that a custom wound pup for 17k.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5
                    Question. How did you change out the screws in your pup? Did you change all of them or just the ones that can be unscrewed? Sounds kind of neat hehe, I may like to try it some day. =).
                    Just the 6 screw on the C5 and the 6 black screws on the Demon , with a screwdriver !!! It will screw you ...

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I like pickups with A5 magnets and I currently use a Screamin' Demon. I want a pickup that is hotter with deep but tight bass, mids and highs similar to the JB, and rich harmonics. I've tried the Full Shred before and it had rich hamonics, but was too focused or compressed with minimal lows. The JB was almost there but also lacks some in the low-end department. I've tried the Custom, but it just didn't have that A5 "snarl" that I like. I'm considering either a Custom 5, JB, or Distortion (with A5 magnet) with double row Allen-head screws. Any idea which one would get me there?
                      My Gear:

Pickups Used:
                      TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

bump!
                        My Gear:

Pickups Used:

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I like pickups with A5 magnets and I currently use a Screamin' Demon. I want a pickup that is hotter with deep but tight bass, mids and highs similar to the JB, and rich harmonics. I've tried the Full Shred before and it had rich hamonics, but was too focused or compressed with minimal lows. The JB was almost there but also lacks some in the low-end department. I've tried the Custom, but it just didn't have that A5 "snarl" that I like. I'm considering either a Custom 5, JB, or Distortion (with A5 magnet) with double row Allen-head screws. Any idea which one would get me there?
                          I tried the Demon in bridge and it needs tremendous gain from the amp to go metal , good but not powerfull enought . Actually what you are describing is my C5 !!! with , as i wrote it ,the change of 6 regular screws for good allen ( choosen carefully) one that turn this cool fat bastard into a screaming metal machine . But if you think you want 12 allen heads , i will say be carefull it could loose all the roundness and becoming fuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtyking
                            Damn, is that a custom wound pup for 17k.
                            17k is the pickup resistance, not the PRICE!

Comment

I was radiusing the screws on all of my pickups and also did that with my C-5, but recently went back to keeping all screws flush and it sounds better to my ears.

I do wonder what people mean when they say to zig zag the poles as I've done....not sure what difference I am supposed to hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X