Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compared Custom vs JB

hi,
    Ii just had a custom vs. jb with my axe. Btw it's a basswood ibanez rg550 with rosewood fretboard. i'm a bit confused about what i like more now.
    The Custom sounds a bit cooler, more compressed and more scooped. I found it has more "crunch" but sounds a bit hollow in some situations. Very nice pu. It sounds more agressive and more metalish than the jb.

I have to check the custom in the band situation.

I think the JB will stay. It's really a keeper. It has erverything and nothing to much. And it has "the palm mute sound" (which make me always smile)!! . Custom palm mutes are imo flatter *edi*(less dynamic?!) with less characteristics.
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Re: Compared Custom vs JB

Nice review, I'm going to get me a Custom too one day. How would you compare the lead tone with the JB?
    I always thought that the Custom would be perfect for palm mutes. So do you think it has what some describe as a loose bottom?
    The hollow sound is part of the PAF sound I guess, eq it right and it goes from 'empty' to 'deep'. At least that's what the '59 does.

Comment

Custom vs JB vs 59

I've used the Custom, JB, and 59 in several of my guitars. For anything heavy I prefer the Custom over the JB. I find that the Custom has a fuller low end and it isn't quite so bright on the top end. The JB may be slightly tighter sounding and it has better harmonics, however with the right amp neither of these are an issue. I find that tone-wise the Custom sounds like a louder more aggresive 59.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
        Nice review, I'm going to get me a Custom too one day. How would you compare the lead tone with the JB?
        I always thought that the Custom would be perfect for palm mutes. So do you think it has what some describe as a loose bottom?
        Don't wanna call it loose. It think you would like the Custom much. With the Custom the palmmutes are crunchier. With the JB the difference between palmute and normal playing is greater. Do you know this with the JB: you play palmmute and the crunch goes a way a bit and when you open the crunch hit's back in your face. With the custom it hit's in your face while palmmuting too. Ah hard to describe this. btw. palm mute is the most difference I hear in the moment.
        Custom lead tone is maybe a bit fatter - JB has a bit more byte (right word?).

Yeah for heavy stuff i would prefer the custom, too. But i don't play that heavy stuff. My amp likes a bit less bass and custom is a bit to compressed for me.

*edt*
        Ah just played some droped stuff with the custom and it's awesome. Does the custom like it really deep like drop C? Have to check this.*edit* It does very well. I think i need a second good axe. Wanna play some metalcore stuff and for this imo the custom fits much better. Maybe a SG with JB for the punk stuff and the RG with custom for the "shred" stuff.
        Last edited by Marcel; 03-31-2004, 02:03 PM.
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

The "Air" Custom in my Strat is a godsend for detuning!
          ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

Originally posted by korinastratkyle
            The "Air" Custom in my Strat is a godsend for detuning!
            How does the "Air" Mod change the sound. I think it'll lower the compression. But what about the tone, espacially the bass. More or less?
            TS 7 (modded)
            Hot Rod 50+ XL
            Framus Dragon 4x12
            V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Two others to consider are the C-5 and the Rio BBQ. Great p'ups!

I am going to be trying a custom soon also.

Comment

I had a JB in the bridge of my epi lp and I did find it too...mushy, or loose, on the low end. I wanted a brigther, crunchier, tighter, palm mute and distortion. Great harmonics, great sustain, really nice pup, just not what I was looking for. I have a custom in an older guitar, and I do like the brightness and crunchiness of it. I put a dimebucker in place of the JB (and moved the JB to the neck), in my epi lp and that seems to fit my playing style really well.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Marcel. Pickup reviews are always helpful.
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                    Cool. Thanks, Marcel. Pickup reviews are always helpful.
                    But always remember, it's difficult to describe sound in words. And i still have to learn what all "the tone words" mean. And i have to say the experience are under medium modern highgain with much mids and treble. With clean it can be something different.
                    Btw with very much gain the Custom wins imo. I'll check the Custom in band situation today.
                    Btw. have the JB put in the neck. Start to like it. Nice lead tone. + a rythm tone which is fuller with less highs a bit to much gain.
                    TS 7 (modded)
                    Hot Rod 50+ XL
                    Framus Dragon 4x12
                    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Update: Custom vs JB; JB neck rocks

I checked the Custom in Band context and thru my rig and i have to say, JB wins. Though Custom is awesome for metal stuff and has awesome palm mutes for this style..
                      The Custom has much crunch through my rig and sounds a bit harsh. The plam mute sound isn't right for my style. There is no punch and if i raise the bass on the amp it get to heavy for my opinion.
                      As i already said my amp has more punch with a bit less bass from the guitar. I got a bit a AC/DC sound which i don't like. Maybe the Custom is really a bit loose on the low end. My Drummer said: More crunch, not that direct (i think he mean a bit loose with that).

For my style the JB has better palm mute sound and better overall sound. It seems to be warmer and fuller/smother thru my rig.

I had the JB in the neck. and it simply rocks. I played much with the JB in the neck though i normally never like the neck sound. Maybe JB/JB is the right combo for me. My theory: I had the JB in the neck "very" low and the JB sounds low very bright and overclear which just compensates the things i don't like about the neck position (muddy, to much bass, ...).
                      TS 7 (modded)
                      Hot Rod 50+ XL
                      Framus Dragon 4x12
                      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

I like the Custom more. It sounds like a snarling tiger.
                        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I guess there really is a reason the JB is most popular.

Comment

the custom is cool but i dig the JB !!!!!!!!!
                            Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                            Suhr OD-50
                            Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Working...
                            X