Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squire Strat Blues

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading my Squire Strat Pickups I'm interested in playing blues and I'm just not getting that sound at the moment. Thanks

Ralph.

Re: Squire Strat Blues

welcome to the forum!!
    what type of blues are we talking? id say a lil 59 in the bridge with a pair of nice single coils in the neck and middle would be a good place to start

Comment

Is your strat a Standard Squire or an Affinity series? For a standard, the Lil 59 at the bridge with a pair of Alnico II Pro singles in the neck and middle would be hard to beat. For an Affinity (thinner body) I'd go with Dimarzio's. Specifically a Virtual Vintage Blues in the neck and middle, and a Virtual Vintage Solo at the bridge, to give you an overall thicker, ballsier sound in all 5 positions.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I also have a Squier Standard Strat with a maple neck. I love the way this guitar feels. I tried MIM Strats and didn't like the feel, I tried American Strats and they felt pretty close to the Squier Standards.But at 400 bucks cheaper I went with the Squier.
        I would like to get a brighter and more vintage sound, and changing pickups will do that.
        Has anyone tried the Surfers in the neck and middle with an APS-1 in the bridge?
        Or I am thinking all SSL-1's, all the way.
        Any thoughts??

Robbie

Comment

I have an Albert Lee set (very close to APS flats) in my MIJ 62RI and they are very nice, and while bright, are not as bright as say, the SSL-1's are. The APS's have more mids with a smoother top end and a rounder bottom. They'll still twang, but the SSL-1's will have more glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            I have an Albert Lee set (very close to APS flats) in my MIJ 62RI and they are very nice, and while bright, are not as bright as say, the SSL-1's are. The APS's have more mids with a smoother top end and a rounder bottom. They'll still twang, but the SSL-1's will have more glass.

How does the Dimarzio HS2 rate against the SD SSL-1's? Which would be brighter for that 60's sound? I am watching an online auction of both these pickups, at a pretty good price.
            Benjy, I thank you for your input.

Comment

No need to thank me, but thanks for doing it.

For a true single coil sound, you need a true single coil. The HS-2's have their place, but for that classic strat sound, the SSL-1's get my nod.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind, the SSL-1 bridge pickup is very true to the originals, that is, it will be bright, relatively low output, and chimey. A lot of people (myself included) find that vintage style strat bridge pickups aren't fat enough to play with OD. If you think this as well, perhaps getting a Custom staggered for the bridge position along withe the SSL-1s in the neck and mid might be a good idea.

Comment

Thanks again for the knowledgeable input, Benjy.

Comment

You're very much welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X