490R/498T to Jazz/JB - a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 490R/498T to Jazz/JB - a few questions

My go to guitar is a '93 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Right now it has the stock 490R neck and 498T bridge pickups. I can get some great tones from both. I'm considering upgrading to a Jazz neck and JB bridge. Would that be a definite improvement? And for somebody who has done this upgrade, what is the difference in tone? What Seymour Duncan pickups are in the same tone ballpark as the 490R and 498T, but have a better tone?

Also, if anybody has a similar setup to mine and have split the coils on either the Jazz or JB, I would love a mini review!

Thanks!

Re: 490R/498T to Jazz/JB - a few questions

I haven't tried that switch, but the Jazz and JB are the two best split humbuckers I've ever tried.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

The Jazz/JB will be tighter and more defined compared to the 490/498t. You will also get more output from the bridge and slightly less output from the neck. If you want thick mids and a warm high end but with better clarity and tonal quality than you have now, I'd go with an APH in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I've heard that the Jazz/JB are great pickups to split. I think the Jazz/JB are looking good - I actually want slightly less output in the neck for a cleaner tone and I'm looking for a thicker and more articulate sound out of the bridge.

How does the Jazz do for singing neck lead tones?

Comment

Originally posted by Woody777
          Thanks for the info.

I've heard that the Jazz/JB are great pickups to split. I think the Jazz/JB are looking good - I actually want slightly less output in the neck for a cleaner tone and I'm looking for a thicker and more articulate sound out of the bridge.

How does the Jazz do for singing neck lead tones?

Clean neck with articulate bridge while haveing a singins neck lead tone?

I'd have to say APH in the neck and Custom in the bridge. The APH does better for leads than the Jazz (though the Jazz is no slouch either) and the Custom seems more balanced overall than the JB (to me anyway).
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
          X