need help choosing pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help choosing pickups

I just bought a Jackson PC-3 (quilt maple top and neck, mahogany body, floyd rose) and am looking at swapping out the pickups (stock Duncan Designed) for something better. I play a variety of jazz and rock, but this guitar I want mostly for 80's rock and fusion purposes, maybe the occasional blues tune. So what I need is two singles (preferrably noise-free) that won't be drowned out by a humbucker, and a hum with moderately high output and good harmonicsand highs, but a nice warm tone that isn't screamy. Any advice would be appreciated, I know nothing about pickups (which I guess also means I'm not partial to any particular brand).

Re: need help choosing pickups

welcome to the forum!!
    moderatly high output, warm with good harmonics sounds like a cc to me
    as far as the singles i might go with a lil 59 in the neck and a duckbucker in the middle. youll have a good all around guitar that will kick out the 80's style rock in the neck and bridge with a nice stratty tone from the middle pup for clean passages

Comment

Re: need help choosing pickups

I'm thinking along the same lines a Jeremy, but I'd go with a Cool Rails in the neck and a Vintage Rails in the middle. The sound will be very similar to the Lil' 59/Duck, but string spacing and balance will be a non-issue because fo the rails.

Of course, rails do look awesome too.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
      X