banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LP Standard - SD Pups vs. BB Pro's - Suggestions Please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LP Standard - SD Pups vs. BB Pro's - Suggestions Please....

Originally posted by bryvincent
    also you can get a better result by changing your pots to cts 500ks and caps- orange drop, hovland, bumblebees etc.
    Thanks for the info! Where is a good source for these pots & caps?
    Guitars:
    1998 Fender Custom Stratocaster
    1985-86 MIJ Fender ALL Rosewood Telecaster
    1996 Fender Stratocaster S-S-H ('59B)
    1997 Fender Strotocaster
    2002 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
    1996 MIJ Fender '72 Thinline Tele

Amps:
    '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
    '66 Fender Super Reverb
    '01 Fender Super Reverb RI
    '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2
    Teese Picture Wah
    MJM Blues Devil
    Bad Bob Boost

Comment

here's a link

you can buy magnets here: www.ampge.com

the procedure above is okay but i prefer raising all the polepieces and open up the whole baseplate. easier for me. you're changing your pickups anyway so its worth trying. it will cost you just a few bucks.
      Thanks again...I checked that out and that seems way over my head. Which magnets did you get for the BB Pros? There are a couple of A2's to choose from.
      Guitars:
      1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
      '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
      '66 Fender Super Reverb
      '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
      Fulltone Fulldrive 2
      Teese Picture Wah
      MJM Blues Devil
      Bad Bob Boost

Comment

Originally posted by Troy T. Blues
        Thanks for the info! Where is a good source for these pots & caps?

remember yours is the basic production model that uses the long shaft pots. and also there's only one kind of A2. Alnico bar magnets available from ampge are A2, A3 and A5. its the A2 you're looking for. you can also try A3 if you want.
        2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

the stock pots were: 300k for volume and 500k for tone. i changed it all to 500k cts pots and changed the crappy ceramic caps(not only it sounds crappy it also looks crappy!) to orange drops. changing the pots really opens up the sound. 300k pots on 10 are like 500k pots on 6 or 7. different caps have different characteristics (esr, tolerance etc.) and can affect the tone even if the tone control is on 10 unless its a no load tone control.
          I agree! The caps will have an impact while on 10! I heard that right away in my LP with Hovlands...too bright. I'll go Orange drops next time. I also found a 500k pot too bright in the bridge volume slot. 500k for all but the bridge volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
            I just bought myself a 2004 les paul standard too, and i love it! But im not a fan of the BB pros. The only thing i like them for is cleans with the neck and middle, and some PAFish high gain stuff with the bridge, but im waiting to swap them out because i just dont dig their vibe.

The neck was very good for jazzy cleans, but the bridge on cleans is just awful and shrill i think.

As far as replacements go, im looking myself at something like a Jazz neck and either a CC or C5 bridge...and a JB further down the track. But i think a C5/Jazz combo or even probably better for you a C5/59 combo would suit what you are asking for. Give that a go, dont think you will be dissapointed.
            I found that with 500k pots, Hovland caps, the C-5 can sound shrill on clean in the bridge.......but it is corrected by carefull use of the amp's treble and presence. My favorite was the Rio grande BBQ in the bridge.....like a fatter JB.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
              I found that with 500k pots, Hovland caps, the C-5 can sound shrill on clean in the bridge.......but it is corrected by carefull use of the amp's treble and presence. My favorite was the Rio grande BBQ in the bridge.....like a fatter JB.
              papersoul, so what is actually in your LP Standard now...Rio BBQ Bridge & ?

Also, so I should go for Orange drop caps & 500K pots except for bridge volume? Looks like I should go for the RS Kit that bryvincent posted as a link. That kit comes with Mallory caps though...

RS Kit and use my BB Pro's with A2's?....or just keep them stock with RS Kit?

This is getting to be confusing and quite a project now Thanks guys!
              Guitars:
              1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
              '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
              '66 Fender Super Reverb
              '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
              Fulltone Fulldrive 2
              Teese Picture Wah
              MJM Blues Devil
              Bad Bob Boost

Comment

Bryvincent
                Thanks for the link for the electronics! I've struggled to figure out which pickups are best to slap in my LP in place of the stock ceramic 496r and 500t. Now I'm sitting here thinking I can try swapping out the mags and updrage the electronics. Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Sarcasm aside, what order do you (or anyone) recommend performing these mods? Find the pickups that rock, then fine tune with electronics? Replace electronics as a must for tone, then expirement with pickups?

This forum is awesome because of info like this.
                -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

papersoul, so what is actually in your LP Standard now...Rio BBQ Bridge & ?

Also, so I should go for Orange drop caps & 500K pots except for bridge volume? Looks like I should go for the RS Kit that bryvincent posted as a link. That kit comes with Mallory caps though...

RS Kit and use my BB Pro's with A2's?....or just keep them stock with RS Kit?

This is getting to be confusing and quite a project now Thanks guys!
                  I think you said your number one complaint was that the neck pickup was too muddy. I actually find mine to be fine and not muddy. I have my 2003 LP totally stock at the moment. I got carried away and started swapping everything before listening to what I had. I do agree that 500k pots are a good way to go, but in my case...naturally bright LP....I have settled on 300k for the bridge volume and may bump the neck volume to 500k. In your case, I would do this....replace all pots with CTS audio taper and .022 Orange drop caps. I would use 500k for all while having the bridge volume at or around 300k.

Comment

OK...thanks papersoul!

Here's a twist...after doing some research and recommendations from Duncan & my guitar tech. They both agree on and suggest a '59 neck and Custom bridge, with CTS 500K pots...any thoughts about that?

The reason....These can cover alot bases if I want to go heavy, do blues or classic/southern rock. The Seth Lover/Antiquity are more specialized. I agree that it's better to have a little more in your back pocket and and roll off to achieve whatever tone/gain stage I want (for lack of better words) Always good to have a little more balls available than not enough...Hmmm....I may actually consider this now!
                    Last edited by Troy T. Blues; 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM.
                    Guitars:
                    1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
                    '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
                    '66 Fender Super Reverb
                    '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
                    Fulltone Fulldrive 2
                    Teese Picture Wah
                    MJM Blues Devil
                    Bad Bob Boost

Comment

OK...thanks papersoul!

Here's a twist...after doing some research and recommendations from Duncan & my guitar tech. They both agree on and suggest a '59 neck and Custom bridge, with CTS 500K pots...any thoughts about that?

The reason....These can cover alot bases if I want to go heavy, do blues or classic/southern rock. The Seth Lover/Antiquity are more specialized. I agree that it's better to have a little more in your back pocket and and roll off to achieve whatever tone/gain stage I want (for lack of better words) Always good to have a little more balls available than not enough...Hmmm....I may actually consider this now!
                      I agree with the Custom at the bridge, but I wouldn't do the 59 in the neck. Let me tell you why.

What you're hearing right now coming out of the neck Burstbucker as muddiness is the alnico V magnet's bass response and scooped mids as opposed to alnico II or even alnico III. If you switch to the 59 at the neck, you will probably gain transparancy in the high end and the mids, but you will still perceive the low end as boomy or muddy.

This happened to me when I switched from the 490 set in my LP standard to a 59/JB combo. I later went to a PG set and am very happy with the neck sound.

Clean and clear with enough mids to play distorted leads with the neck pickup, enough output to play them with authority, and no mud/boominess. The APH, Seth Lover, and Antiquity will all do this. Remember, the 59 and al lof the pickups I mentioned for the neck are nothing more than different flavors of the basic PAF theme. Not one is more specialized than the other.

If anything, I'd go with the Jazz before going with a 59 in the neck slot of a LP.

My sincere advice, go with a neck pickup that's either wound for less bass response, or go with a neck humbucker that's built around an Alnico II magnet.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                        I agree with the Custom at the bridge, but I wouldn't do the 59 in the neck. Let me tell you why.

What you're hearing right now coming out of the neck Burstbucker as muddiness is the alnico V magnet's bass response and scooped mids as opposed to alnico II or even alnico III. If you switch to the 59 at the neck, you will probably gain transparancy in the high end and the mids, but you will still perceive the low end as boomy or muddy.

This happened to me when I switched from the 490 set in my LP standard to a 59/JB combo. I later went to a PG set and am very happy with the neck sound.

Clean and clear with enough mids to play distorted leads with the neck pickup, enough output to play them with authority, and no mud/boominess. The APH, Seth Lover, and Antiquity will all do this. Remember, the 59 and al lof the pickups I mentioned for the neck are nothing more than different flavors of the basic PAF theme. Not one is more specialized than the other.

If anything, I'd go with the Jazz before going with a 59 in the neck slot of a LP.

My sincere advice, go with a neck pickup that's either wound for less bass response, or go with a neck humbucker that's built around an Alnico II magnet.

Benjy..thanks again, good point!...You know my guitar tech actually recommended the Jazz neck first. I think I almost talked him into the '59 to be honest with you. Thanks for the reminder! I think we all can agree on the Custom bridge, that's cool! I know you favor the PG neck, so what do you think about the PG neck vs. Jazz neck? My guitar tech also said there's nothing wimpy about the Jazz neck, that's actually what Randy Rhoads used.
                        Last edited by Troy T. Blues; 10-19-2004, 12:48 PM.
                        Guitars:
                        1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
                        '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
                        '66 Fender Super Reverb
                        '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
                        Fulltone Fulldrive 2
                        Teese Picture Wah
                        MJM Blues Devil
                        Bad Bob Boost

Comment

I find the BB pro's to be some of the best LP pu's I've heard. Nice, chimey top end and plenty of clarity when pushed. Many posters here are into very heavy music and are used to higher output pickups that tend to cut the highs and accentuate the lower end of the tone spectrum. That is, in my opinion of course, is why the consensus on this board will be that they are "thin" and "weak". I have played a few older Pauls w/orig PAFs (poorly ) and , although each seemed a bit different, they all seemed to have about the same output as the BB Pro's.

I guess if you play heavy music, they might not be great but for good old fashioned rock and roll, I think they beat my Pearly Gates, the JBs and the 490's hands down.

Comment

OK...thanks papersoul!

If you think the bridge pickup is bright enough...maybe consider keeping the bridge at 300k for volume.

I find the Custom a little cold and hard but that is me. Maybe the C-5??

The C-5 and JB are warmer in my opinion.

The Pearly Gates neck is apparently a good choice and if I end up Duncan in my LP, it will be the C-5/PGn.

I may end up trying True Tone pickups and will let you all know the results.

What jpage said is true but the BB Pros are aggressive and feel/sound hotter than the specs indicate. I think they actually do clean to mean well, including modern heavy music. I am looking for something similar but with a touch more warmth, thickness, smoothness, and maybe output. Just a touch though......
                            Last edited by papersoul; 10-19-2004, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I think I am definitely leaning towards the PG neck like Benjy suggested. In fact, that was my initial, initial choice.

I think the JB is great, but I think the Custom would actually sound a little more fuller according to the tone chart. C-5 sounds good too, but I'm not really considering it at all right now.
                              Guitars:
                              1997 Fender Strotocaster

Amps:
                              '84 Marshall JCM800 4210
                              '66 Fender Super Reverb
                              '68 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Effects:
                              Fulltone Fulldrive 2
                              Teese Picture Wah
                              MJM Blues Devil
                              Bad Bob Boost

Comment

personally, i don't like pickups with A5 magnets. i just can't stand the piercing highs and big lows.with the stock BB pros, i find them bright even with the stock 300k pots so changing the pots to 500k will only make it brighter and a little harsh with the stock BB pros. so by changing the mags to A2 there's less bass and you lose a little of the highs but you compensate that by switching to 500k pots.500k pots is a must if you have HBs with A2.with the BBpros with A2 and 500k pots, your LP will sound smoother and sweeter without being dull. at least in my experience. every guitar is different so try experimenting.

PGs and BBs are similar pickups-A2 mags, uneven windings , same type of wire- so they probably will sound similar too.

NT02
                                i suggest upgrading the electronics first if you have crappy electronics.you can hear the true potential of a pickup with the right electronics, you may even like your stock pickups and no need to change it after upgrading your electronics.
                                2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Working...
                                X