banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing pickups, need some info about the 7-String Series !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickups, need some info about the 7-String Series !

Hi all,

I am on my way to buy a 7 string guitar (Ibanez UV) soon and would like to replace the neck pickup by a seymour duncan one.

On my 6 string stratocaster i've been using a Hotrails on the neck for years and it's one of the only pickups which brought me the sound i was searching for.

I haven't been able to find infos about the seymour 7 String series using the seymour website so i browsed the web and found this link :

Unfortunately there isn't much info on this page

So the question is : Are there actualy some 7 string seymour humbuckers i could buy which would have the same kind of sound (or better) as my hotrails one ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Changing pickups, need some info about the 7-String Series !

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

To quote:

"Do you make pickups for 7-string guitars?
    Jazz players were the first to add a seventh string to their guitars for increased range. Lately, however, the 7-string torch has been taken up by rockers. We've responded by releasing our most popular humbuckers in a 7-string format. They include the SH-1 '59 (neck and bridge), the SH-2 Jazz (neck), the SH-4 JB (bridge), the SH-5 Duncan Custom (bridge), the SH-6 Duncan Distortion (neck and bridge), and the SH-8 Invader (neck and bridge). Whether you play rock or jazz, it's the same great Seymour Duncan tone and quality, with an added string. View the dimensions, a standard 7-string humbucker and the 7-string SH-8 Invader.
    We also manufacture for Benedetto, the S-Series pickguard (floating) mount and B-Series standard mounting-style version for 7-string. Strat-style pickups are only available in a 7-string version on a Custom Order basis only."

I suspect that a seven-string hot rails would be a custom shop job.

Comment

Anything thatīs not a production model can be done Via Custom Shop. Single Coils 120$ IIRC, not sure what the price on a Hotrails would be, though
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by J-War
        Hi all,

I am on my way to buy a 7 string guitar (Ibanez UV) soon and would like to replace the neck pickup by a seymour duncan one.

On my 6 string stratocaster i've been using a Hotrails on the neck for years and it's one of the only pickups which brought me the sound i was searching for.

I haven't been able to find infos about the seymour 7 String series using the seymour website so i browsed the web and found this link :

Unfortunately there isn't much info on this page

So the question is : Are there actualy some 7 string seymour humbuckers i could buy which would have the same kind of sound (or better) as my hotrails one ?

Thanks in advance.
        Welcome to the SD Forum, J-War!

..It's a HSH 7-string, right?

It's been said a number of times in the Forum that the closest sounding fullsized humbucker to the the HotRails is the Invader. ..Though, a Stratocaster & Ibanez UV are very different sounding guitars. ...So the Invader(neck) might be too muddy of a tone in a 7-string Ibanez. For a neck pickup with the bass that you like, the SH-1 '59 is the closest but its not a High-output pup like the Rails or Invader. If you need High-ouput in the neck, the only pup other than the Invader would be the Distortion. ..The Distortion will work fine & if you need to thicken it up just use the tone knob.
        A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
        This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

I put a Jazz-7 in my RG1527. While it doesn't sound like the Hot Rails at all, I will tell you that it produces a very bell-like clear tone. It is extremely articulate and you could bump the gain on your amp to fill the void of a super hot pickup. What are you thinking of putting in the bridge, if anything?
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

First of all, thanks very much for the help everyone

As Russ said : " So the Invader(neck) might be too muddy of a tone in a 7-string Ibanez. For a neck pickup with the bass that you like, the SH-1 '59 is the closest but its not a High-output pup like the Rails or Invader. "

This is a very accurate advice, i was pretty sure none of these pickup would satisfy me as i have a very precise idea of the sound i want. I tried numerous pickups brand and models passive or active and believe it or not nothing fullfiled my taste as my hortrails did !
            Although i am buying an Ibanez UV, i am realy not the " i exclusively love metal guitar sound " kind, and to be honest the dimarzio neck pickup of the UV is way not enough versatile. I need pickups able to make this Ibanez a bit more " Alive ".

So if i understood well what've been posted above, it would be possible to buy a 7 string hotrails via custom shop ?
            Could someone tell me exactly what i have to do to buy one ? I am not realy used with this custom shop concept....

Thanks in advance
            Last edited by J-War; 10-19-2004, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J-War
              Could someone tell me exactly what i have to do to buy one ? I am not realy used with this custom shop concept....

Thanks in advance
              Here's a couple links http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...hopdescr.shtml
              Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
              This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

Thanks you very much.

Comment

..You're welcome. ..Let us know what happens!

Comment

Working...
                  X