Hamer Double Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Double Cut

I have a Hamer Double Cut and I play it through a Fender Deluxe. I want to get my tone before I start messing with pedals. I play a lot of blues and funk with a little jazz for good measure. The guitar came with Duncan Design pick ups. They proved almost the tone I am looking for. The blues are almost dirty enough and funk just doesn't quite cut it. It has a pretty good clean tone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Hamer Double Cut

well, the current USA Studios use a set of '59s
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

59's would be good, Perly Gates would be better (to my ear).
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I've seen the Korean Hamers with H-S-S and H-H configs. What do you have?

Please explain how it doesn't cut it for funk. I usually think of a thin clean sound, but you seem to be happy with the cleans?
        Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          I've seen the Korean Hamers with H-S-S and H-H configs. What do you have?

Please explain how it doesn't cut it for funk. I usually think of a thin clean sound, but you seem to be happy with the cleans?
          I am new to all the technical stuff. It is a Korean Hamer, but what is H-S-S & H-H config? It has more of a thick sound than a thin sound for the funk. Does that help?

Comment

H-S-S = humbucker bridge, single coil middle, single coil neck
            H-H = two humbucker configuration

I would recommend a '59 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck. A lower output vintage style pickup would work best for funk, and the '59 fits the bill nicely. If you want a warmer blues tone from the neck, go with an Alnico II Pro instead of the Pearly Gates.

One other tip is to have your tech wire up the guitar with a push/pull pot to give you the option of putting the two pickups out of phase in the middle switch position. This works particularly well on Hamers due to the separate volume controls, and two pickups out of phase with each other give a thin, funky sound.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

It is a H-H configurtation. I was thinking the same thing for the pick ups. '59 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck. What do you mean by out of phase?

Comment

Check this out:
                Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

You can find great tips at the duncan home page under support FAQ's.

Generally speaking it will give your guitar a thinner, almost quacky-honky sound-great for the funky stuff.

Ryan-that's a great recommendation.
                Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                  Generally speaking it will give your guitar a thinner, almost quacky-honky sound-great for the funky stuff.

Ryan-that's a great recommendation.
                  Thanks...that pretty much describes an out of phase tone. You'll need to have a tech replace one of your control pots with a 500k DPDT push/pull pot. When you pull up on the knob, it'll put the pickups out of phase.

Ryan
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Thanks for great ideas. Especially the push/pull pot. I can't wait to get it all set up!

Comment

Working...
                    X