Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling the tone on the Screamin' Demon

Hey guys,

I was just playing my Screamin' Demon, which is put in the neck position of my mahogany bodied/neck and ebony fretboard Gibson Designer Flying V. Though this is still my #1 pick up, I think the bass isn't tight enough. When I played it through a Randall RH200SC head and a Marshall JCM900 cab I had enough chunk and clarity, but here at home I get more of a PAF vibe. You know, not enough chunk and snappy palm mutes pared with high gain. I mean they're okay, but I just can't get the sound I got with the previous amp combo. So I was thinking about disconnecting the Tone pot on this particular pick up. Would this get me what I need? A little more treble so the palm mutes would sound better?

Thanks guys!
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: Pulling the tone on the Screamin' Demon

Originally posted by Neeradj
    Hey guys,

I was just playing my Screamin' Demon, which is put in the neck position of my mahogany bodied/neck and ebony fretboard Gibson Designer Flying V. Though this is still my #1 pick up, I think the bass isn't tight enough. When I played it through a Randall RH200SC head and a Marshall JCM900 cab I had enough chunk and clarity, but here at home I get more of a PAF vibe. You know, not enough chunk and snappy palm mutes pared with high gain. I mean they're okay, but I just can't get the sound I got with the previous amp combo. So I was thinking about disconnecting the Tone pot on this particular pick up. Would this get me what I need? A little more treble so the palm mutes would sound better?

Thanks guys!
    Do the No Load Tone Pot Mod....Here's how...http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pots.htm

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yeah but wouldn't it just be easier to disconnect the tone pot? And would I only achieve a slight raise in output and highs or do I benefit from it more?

Thanks
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Neeradj
        Yeah but wouldn't it just be easier to disconnect the tone pot? And would I only achieve a slight raise in output and highs or do I benefit from it more?

Thanks
        The idea of the no load tone pot is to get your cake and eat it too...You remove the pot's resistance and the cap with the tone control set to 10..As you roll from around 9 on down towards 0,you're back to the normal functioning tone pot...Yes,totally disconnecting the pot is fine also,but you can't have the benefit of ever subtracting any highend from your guitar..I never like to limit my options that much,but alot of guys do disconnect their tone controls...It's a cool mod because you lose nothing,still have a tone control,but on 10,it's all out of the circuit..Every one of my guitars has this mod and I always make my own..Takes like 10 minutes and is too easy..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I think it's a nice mod but no experience. if you don't need the tone pot just disconnect it. For me it is better in the moment coz i don't have to care if it the tone control is on ten . Maybe my Tone Pot will get a second volume pot.

But i think i'd do the mod if i play different styles of music and need more vers..
          Last edited by Marcel; 04-01-2004, 08:59 AM.
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
            I think it's a nice mod but no experience. if you don't need the tone pot just disconnect it. For me it is better in the moment coz i don't have to care if it the tone control is on ten . Maybe my Tone Pot will get a second volume pot.

But i think i'd do the mod if i play different styles of music and need more vers..

Some very valid points...We do classic rock/blues and some newer alternative stuff so maybe it does boil down to versatility overall...I've always been someone that will use my volume and tone controls all night and I think this is a blues player mentality anyway?

John

Comment

It's not that I don't need the Tone control, I just don't use it very often. I wouldn't do this if I thought it had enough high end for my liking, but it's not like I'll miss it. But could I really get this effect by disconnecting it?

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

What you can try is: disconnnect the tone pot, use higher pot values, experiment with pickup height and polepieces.
                RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                TS 7 (modded)
                Hot Rod 50+ XL
                Framus Dragon 4x12
                V-AMP II for practice

Comment

It's pretty much put as high as it could possibly be put, without the strings slamming onto it, but I'll try to heighten it a little more. I'm pretty sure I'll be disconnecting the Tone pot on the Demon though

Thanks all

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

have you tried a small bar ceramic in the demon? I use the demon in the neck and I replaced my demons 5 for a ceramic(small bar), to add tightness,and more upper mids and it is perfect now! talk about a jazz on steriods!
                    the only thing i had to do different is lower it more than when it was stock to have the same output as before

Comment

Working...
                    X