Upside down neck anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upside down neck anyone?

Has anyone ever put a bridge type pickup in the neck upside down? For example, a JB in the neck with the logo upside down. My friend just put a Pearly Gates bridge that came off of my Lone Star Strat in the neck of his LP like this (upside down logo) and he loves it. I've had a JB in the neck of my LP Custom but it's got the adjustable pole pieces toward the bridge so it's technically upside down from a normal neck pu but it sounds great.

Re: Upside down neck anyone?

Originally posted by ratkent
    Has anyone ever put a bridge type pickup in the neck upside down? For example, a JB in the neck with the logo upside down. My friend just put a Pearly Gates bridge that came off of my Lone Star Strat in the neck of his LP like this (upside down logo) and he loves it. I've had a JB in the neck of my LP Custom but it's got the adjustable pole pieces toward the bridge so it's technically upside down from a normal neck pu but it sounds great.
    Yeah. I did it with the stag mag so that the coil closest to the neck would combine with my DiMarzio middle pup. In your case, the slug side is hotter, so putting that toward the neck would give you as slight increase in output & warmth.

Comment

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure I'm buying this. Of course, I haven't actually tried it.
      It makes sense for the Stag Mag, which has staggered pole pieces, but for a JB? I can't imagine that an offset of 3/4" could make that much difference. At the bridge, maybe, at the neck, hmmm . . .

Comment

I have with a Blues Trembucker. Although, I didn't physically turn it around like I had expected to. I didn't really need to. Sounds awesome. Probably one of my favorite neck pickups, even though it's mostly thought of as a bridge pup.
        Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
        www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

I did it with a neck Pearly Gates. I wanted it to sound brighter, so my logic was that if the adjustable screws were closer to the bridge, I could raise them up and increase the brightness more than if they were towards the neck.
          This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Hmmm . . . I'm not sure I'm buying this. Of course, I haven't actually tried it.
            It makes sense for the Stag Mag, which has staggered pole pieces, but for a JB? I can't imagine that an offset of 3/4" could make that much difference. At the bridge, maybe, at the neck, hmmm . . .
            Well, yeah. I said slight - mebbe that means "inaudible". I didn't do it to my Mag for the sound as a bucker, only so the "combining" single coil was the neck one. Actually, it makes the stagger wrong, so the bass is weak. I'm gonna grind 'em all even...

Comment

Working...
            X