-first post - AlleyKat upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -first post - AlleyKat upgrade?

Hi to all, I've lurked quite a while for help on my other projects and found this forum to be very helpful. - but I think I need to get more specific help.

I'd like to get better pups for my AlleyKat (small body semi-hollow).
    -stock- is a mini in the neck and '57 knock-off in the bridge.

I want a Wes Wontgomery sound in the neck and a classic LP sound in the bridge. I know I'm asking a lot - but would like to get as close as I can.

I have a '59N laying around to use. I was considering a seymourized mini in the neck and the '59N in the bridge.
    Should I use a '59N in the bridge of my AlleyKat (small body semi-hollow)?

If I'm willing to modify the guitar and put the '59 in the neck - what should I put in the bridge?

BTW, I've already replaced the actual bridge with an LR Baggs T-Bridge for a pretty good acoustic sound. I'm running it in stereo.

Any help would be appreciated.
    -Steve

Re: -first post - AlleyKat upgrade?

Welcome to the Forum (officially ).

The Seymourized neck mini will work to fatten up the sound, but it won't be exactly Wes. To make your bridge position sound more like a LP, I'd go with something fat and round like a CC. I fear the 59n might be a bit bright for that.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hey, thanks Benji.
      - maybe I should forget the '59 and start over...
      what pups should I use on a small body semi-hollow (maple) to get a Wes Montgomery sound in the neck and an LP sound in the bridge?
      I've got the strat sounds covered with a strat. I've got modern hybrid sounds covered with a Brian Moore. I was hoping to cover both classic jazz and the gibson LP sound in one instrument - maybe that's asking too much.
      -about your cc suggestion...How is the CC different than a custom. I've got a custom in the bridge of my strat and I like it pretty well, but it's a bright guitar.

Comment

The CC will be smoother and fatter with more low mids and lesss low end. It's a more "vintage" style sound than the Custom. The output is still quite high (for me), but it's a less aggressive sound than the ceramic Custom. To get the Wes sound, you really do need a full hollow bodied guitar and a full sized humbucker pickup, like the 59 you already have. The smaller semi will be brighter and snappier than the L5's Mr. Montgomerr was fond of. You'll get good sounds out of a mini, but it won't be exactly Wes.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
        X