how to re-shield 4-conductor cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to re-shield 4-conductor cable?

The JB I've currently got in my neck position has almost no lead left on it. Sooo I soldered some lengths of jumperwire to the short leads, and used heatshrink to keep the thing together as a ghetto-rigged cable, knowing that I was just gonna have to deal with the buzz.

Eh, I can't deal with the buzz, it sucks! Can I just wrap the whole deal in foil and then solder the foil to ground? Is this even possible?

Re: how to re-shield 4-conductor cable?

The best thing to do is to completely replace the 4 conductor cable. I've found that it's a lot easier to do that than it is to extend it.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
      The best thing to do is to completely replace the 4 conductor cable. I've found that it's a lot easier to do that than it is to extend it.

Ryan
      Ditto! I've made four conductor before when I didn't have any, but it's cheap, and you'll save a lot of headaches buy just buying some, and replacing it.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

ooh. ok... just any old shielded 4-conductor cable, huh? are you talking about just grafting it on to where the old lead stops, or are you talking about finding where the lead begins in the first place and making the connections there?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Calx
          ooh. ok... just any old shielded 4-conductor cable, huh? are you talking about just grafting it on to where the old lead stops, or are you talking about finding where the lead begins in the first place and making the connections there?
          If you remove the fabric tape surrounding the coils, you'll see where the 4 conductors attach. There are four shorter wires coming out of the coils, and the four conductor wiring gets soldered to those wires. You'll probably want to repot the pickup when you're done too, or at least zap it with a hairdryer to let the wax reset itself.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

The repotting is 98% of the time not critical, as the cause of microphonics are within the coil wires themselves, and you aren't disturbing those anyway.
            Hoever, if you have a cover, you'll probably want to do it .
            The short bits of lead coming out of the coils themselves, are normally an inch long or so, so those just get soldered to the appropriate coloured conductors in the four conductor cable, the drain wire (bare) gets soldered to the baseplate of the pup. Insulsate all solder connections ( this doesn't apply to the sheild of course), and slap it back together.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

ooHHH! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X