No announcement yet.

Duncan Custom Versus Duncan Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Custom Versus Duncan Distortion?

I'm starting a project guitar soon and am considering a Duncan Custom or Duncan Distortion for the bridge. I plan on putting a Jazz in the neck. Can anyone fill me in on what I can expect out of both the Duncan Custom and Duncan Distortion tone wise? Perhaps provide clips of them? These pickups will most likely go into a 2001 Fender American Standard Deluxe alder strat. body with a maple fretboard..... (Still in search of parts for project). Thanks in advance, and any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 10-19-2004, 12:11 AM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Re: Duncan Custom Versus Duncan Distortion?

The Custom has tight lows for good palm muted riffs. The highs are clear but not shrill. It has a fairly open tone, airy even (if you can describe sound like that). Harmonics are decent. It stays defined under high gain. Pretty versatile.

The Distortion is my personal favorite, like a Custom on steroids. It has a few more mids (which I like) and is a little more compressed. The lows are also tight so you can riff your fingers to the bone and it won't slow you down. Good definition on the highs without being shrill. Harmoncs jump out of this thing by just thinking it. Pinch harmonics require almost no effort. Best metal riffing pickup ever, but more versatile than people think.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

My vote is for the custom...I have one in my alder bodied, maple fretboarded Ibanez and wouldn't trade it for anything. I haven't been able to find an amp yet that it didn't sound great in.

Comment

The difference, IMO, is that the Distortion sounds just like a Custom, except thicker and more hairy.

Comment

Yeah, as I can only speak for the Distortion, its name implies nothing. Lots of harmonics and punch and moreover, it acts really well with the volume pot to achieve softer tones.
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
          X