Who has specs on this pickup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has specs on this pickup??

I'm getting a single hum strat body in a few days and am looking for a pickup to put in it. I was thinking Screamin' or Saraceno. But I have a 498 Gibby lying around which I thought might warm up an ash body nicely. Where can I find the DC resistance and mag type? Gibson doesn't seem to be as straightforward with their specs as SD.

By the way, the body is a 5150 replica and obviously I am looking for a pickup as close to a '61 Gibson humbucker as I can get.

Will I have problems putting a non-trem p/u in w/a floyd? Aside from cosmetic? Wouldn't it be more realistic anyway?

Here it is, what do you think:
    Last edited by jpage; 10-20-2004, 10:45 AM.

Re: Who has specs on this pickup??

None of you pickup geeks know about Gibsons?

Cmon!

Comment

I know the 498t is a relatively hot, alnico II equipped pickup, but that's about it. As far as string spacing, you might notice an imbalance in string volume. If that happens, either get a trembucker version, or raise that respective polepiece.

You want to get close to a 61 Gibby 'bucker? The 59 Trembucker might be for you.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Wait a minute, I thought the 498t was around 14k with an Alnico 5 magnet...the 490r/t's are loaded with A2's. I think it's a great pickup, but the cleans are abhorrent!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          You want to get close to a 61 Gibby 'bucker? The 59 Trembucker might be for you.
          Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
            Wait a minute, I thought the 498t was around 14k with an Alnico 5 magnet...the 490r/t's are loaded with A2's.
            this is correct
            for a '61 gibson tone get the duncan 59 trembucker it is pretty mucha dead on 1961 P.A.F!
            Last edited by SABOTAGE; 10-20-2004, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
              Wait a minute, I thought the 498t was around 14k with an Alnico 5 magnet...the 490r/t's are loaded with A2's. I think it's a great pickup, but the cleans are abhorrent!

You're right!!! Sorry, had a brain fart!
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Closest you can get to a vintage Van Halen sound = custom shop EVH pickup

Closest you can get without spending $160 = get a '59 model and replace the magnet with an alnico 2 or alnico 3 magnet.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                  Closest you can get to a vintage Van Halen sound = custom shop EVH pickup

Closest you can get without spending $160 = get a '59 model and replace the magnet with an alnico 2 or alnico 3 magnet.

Ryan
                  but eddie used a alnico 5 magnet in his 1961 P.A.F?
                  i vote for the stock 59 trembucker or the 59b in 2 conductor wire which is a dead ringer for a '61 P.A.F!

Comment

The 490-whatever pickup I have is from a 1987 Gibson LP Studio.

Now I don't even know what pickup it is !

Comment

Eddie used a variety of pickups. If you listen to "Eruption," that's an A5 pickup. If you listen to "Dance the Night Away," "Mean Street," or "Everybody Wants Some," that's an A2 pickup. If you're after the A5 tone, then the '59 would be your best bet. For the A2 sound, put an A2 or A3 magnet in the '5, or spring for the custom shop model.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
                      X