Spin-A-Split questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin-A-Split questions

I just got my Duncans and wan't to convert the 2 tone controls on my LP to spin-a-slpit controls instead, I have a couple of questions though.

1) Is a 500k CTS audio taper pot OK for this?

2) Is there any way I can wire it so that when both are split, and both pups are on, they are hum cancelling?

3) Would a no load pot be better, for when the HB is on full? (or else you'd still get a little bit of split, right?)

I have seen a few thread on this, but I'm still a little unsure, any advice is welcome...
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Re: Spin-A-Split questions

1. Should be ok. I don't think the value, and taper of the pot are quite so important on the spin-a-split mod.
    2. Yes, just split one to "stud" and the other to "adj". That is, short one red/white combo to ground, and the other red/white combo to hot.
    3. I believe a no-load pot is best in this application.

Note: I haven't actually ever done this mod myself,
    so this info is deemed from SD's Tech Tips (Spin-A-Split mod), and what I've read on the forum.
    (And figured out for myself.)

Comment

Thanks artie,

Excuse my stupidity but, when you say short one red/white to ground and the other to hot do you mean on one pot connect red to one lug, white to the other and short green and bare, and then the opposite (Green and bare on lugs) on the other pot?

or have I got that completley wrong?
      Last edited by rinse_master; 10-20-2004, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rinse_master
        Thanks artie,

Excuse my stupidity but, when you say short one red/white to ground and the other to hot do you mean on one pot connect red to one lug, white to the other and short green and bare, and then the opposite (Green and bare on lugs) on the other pot?

or have I got that completley wrong?
        Yes . . . you have it completely wrong.

Use this diagram as a reference:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...y-w-split.html

Notice that they are only showing one pickup split. And, they only use half of the switch. So take the red/white pair from the neck pickup, and bring it down and attach it the center of the other side of the switch. Now, on the terminal that's right beside the "grounded" terminal, run a wire back to the black wire of the neck pickup. That will split both pups with one switch.

If you want individual control, just use the same diagram, but add an extra switch. Red/white combo to the center, bottom lug to the black, or "hot" wire, of the same pup.

One last thing to keep in mind. For some reason, all the SD schematics show the push/pull pots "split" when pushed down. I would think it more normal to have them split when "up". Just connect the ground, and the hot, to the top unused terminals instead of the bottom. The red/white combo always goes to the center.

I'll post a custom diagram as soon as I get home. ('bout 2 hours.)

Artie

Comment

That makes more sense!!

Thanks again, gotta make a no load tone pot now (found a tutorial in the vault for that)

Comment

Marker
            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
            X