banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Settled on Jazz/JB combo in my LP, what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settled on Jazz/JB combo in my LP, what's next?

This an update of a previous post. I had a set of 59's in my LP and found the neck too muddy and that the bridge lacked oomph for leads, although it was great for rhythm. Based on good advice from fellow Forum members, I went to the Jazz/JB combo and am satisfied (at least for now, you know how it goes).
    In the LP, the Jazz is a great improvement over the 59: it is perfect for rhythm, doesn't mush up and it stays nice and clean (think of tone on "Are you gonna be my girl", it nails it). The Jazz will also be great for blues, as the leads really sing (mind you the '59 was also good at this, but not as clean). As for the bridge, the JB gives me more than enough meat for leads and the rhythm tone (volume rolled back) is very decent. The notes really do ring out when chording (harmonics?), and although this somewhat takes away from note to note definition, the sound really is cool, perfect for rock à la Skynyrd and I think it’s good to have contrast between bridge and neck anyway. As far as using the two pick ups together, I now understand what all the fuss is about: it is a really amazing sound and one I will be experimenting with a lot more - perfect match tonally in my LP.

The story's not over though folks. I want to get the most out of my pups, so I'm going to get them wired to have the option of running each in parallel or with a coil split. From what I've read, I can do both but that split and parallel sound the same - can anyone enlighten me on this?

Re: Settled on Jazz/JB combo in my LP, what's next?

I always do splits instead of parallel. I don't care for the parallel sound of most humbuckers. It seems thinner to my ears than the split option.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
      I always do splits instead of parallel. I don't care for the parallel sound of most humbuckers. It seems thinner to my ears than the split option.
      Thanks for the reply Benjy. What can I expect from splitting the Jazz and JB in my LP, i.e., bighter sound, single coil tone, lower volume, etc?

Comment

You'll drop output, it'll get cleaner, and will be brighter. It's not exactly a strat sound, but it's very good nonetheless.

Ever hear twang from a Paul? You will.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You'll drop output, it'll get cleaner, and will be brighter. It's not exactly a strat sound, but it's very good nonetheless.

Funny you mention that b/c last night at band practice as our bass player picked up a tele and plugged in with me in the plexi: amazing contrast! It really brought out the tele's brightness, tightness and definition and the LP's darkness, thickness and sustain - made me want one of each! Wonder if I'll get close to those sounds using the split...would be nice to clean up buckers for certain songs.

P.S. I also tried an LP w/ P-90s and liked its tele-like qualities. Guess the strat is next.

Comment

I read that the split coil is no longer hum-cancelling, have you experienced problems with this?

Comment

In most cases with the central position it is possible to have hum cancelling. If you have a Paul, you have 4 pots so it is possible to run the pickups split individually. My guitars with this configuration usually run neck split or HB but I leave the bridge almost permanantly in HB mode, for what I play, it's more useful than splitting both at the same time and I find it more versatile.
              My other guitarist runs a 345 with HB/parallel and he gets lovely ringing clean tones with the parallel choice and it's always humbucking (and therefore quiet), but it is less of a single coil chime than the split option. It's your choice and you can always change it back if you want - that's half the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by msplines
                In most cases with the central position it is possible to have hum cancelling. If you have a Paul, you have 4 pots so it is possible to run the pickups split individually. My guitars with this configuration usually run neck split or HB but I leave the bridge almost permanantly in HB mode, for what I play, it's more useful than splitting both at the same time and I find it more versatile.
                My other guitarist runs a 345 with HB/parallel and he gets lovely ringing clean tones with the parallel choice and it's always humbucking (and therefore quiet), but it is less of a single coil chime than the split option. It's your choice and you can always change it back if you want - that's half the fun.
                According to SD, yu can use a DPDT on-on-on switch to run a series/split/parallel configuration, maybe that's a way to have all options on board and really compare the three tones.

Comment

Working...
                X