Les Paul Pickup help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Pickup help

I see Les Paul threads here all the time, but I guess each person's applications are a little different. Anyhow, here's my situation. I just got a used Les Paul Classic, which had the original non-potted Burstbuckers installed in it. These PUPS squeal like pigs, and there's much noise as well. I wanted some suggestions on an nice SD pair. I play mostly pop/rock in a cover band using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Boss Overdrive. I'm looking for even output in the neck and bridge, with the bridge being used for clean tone. I like the sound of a single coil in the neck, so I was thinking of the SD Jazz there. I'll use the bridge for overdriven chording and leads, but don't want to overpower the neck position. Here, I was thinking of the '59. So what do you think? '59 bridge and Jazz neck? Is there a better combo for a non-muddy clean neck, and overdriven bridge, but balanced output? Thanks, and sorry if it's been asked a million times already.

Re: Les Paul Pickup help

I had a set of 59s in my LP and simply loved the bridge for clean overdriven rhythm tones - so I would have to say "go for it". I just replaced the neck 59 with a Jazz and not only is it better to my ears than the 59, which to me is very muddy in the LP, and the Jazz is a lot brighter and does have a bit of a single coil quality to it (esp. for leads). You can also get that pup wired to have a coil split, which will get you even closer to that single coil sound. Also, the Jazz neck and 59b have similar outputs, so it sounds like you should be OK, but wait and see what other members have to say too, good luck.
    Last edited by No effects; 10-21-2004, 06:39 AM.

Comment

i think a 59b/jazz is a cool combo, itll give you a nice clean sound and good distorted tones. the idea of splitting or parallel for the neck pup isnt a bad idea for even more tones

just fyi lp classics come with the hot ceramic pups, a 496r/500t

Comment

Is your guitar on the bright side when played acoustically? If it is, you might not care for a pickup that is also considered bright. I was in a quandry as to what would work in my 2000 Classic besides what pups came new with it. After thinking for some time about it, I elected to go with the '59 bridge and neck. My guitar when played unplugged had a good acoustic sound with no emphasis on bright or dark tones (balanced). I needed to cover alot of bases from POP to Rock and Blues. It turned out that the '59s were just what it needed. I have a fat-toned guitar with plenty of highs in the neck position and, depending on how I set my amp, I can make it sound bright and hollow or thick and dark and all shade in between.

If your guitar is dark sounding, you might try the PG, or Antiquities.

Classicplayer

Comment

I like the PG set I have in my Paul. I went from the 59/JB because I felt that the 59 was a bit too boomy for me and the JB was too compressed.

Also, if and when you do pull out the Burstbuckers, let me know. I might take them off of you for a reasonable price.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I like the Alnico II's..warm ..but clear...Seth Lover 55 would be a good choice to..i had a different name brand of p'ups in a lp classic i had..but i only swapped out the bridge p'up which mine had the 500T in it..very hot p'up..but i kept the neck 496R which i liked ..there are just so many to choose from..id see if any of your buddies or someone else might have some differnt p'up configurations so you could hear them without spending the money and changing p'up every other month

and thats my $.02

Comment

Working...
            X