Removing cover from Seth Lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing cover from Seth Lover

Hi. I have removed the nickel cover from my Seth Lover H'bucker because IMO it sounds a lot better. I was pleased to discover that it has 'zebra' bobbins, the colour of which are a perfect match for the Van Zandt TruBucker I have in the neck position. My quick question: Is there anything I should be wary of having removed the cover - i.e is it really vulnerable to the elements - well, any more so than other p/ups - & should I apply tape around the bobbin sides to protect the coils? The coils are exposed a little but seem to have a clear resin over them.

Re: Removing cover from Seth Lover

There is no extra care that needs to be taken with the uncovered Seths.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

You may want to pot it by dunking it in hot parafin wax, before installing it, especially if you use high gain tones. I know Seths are unpotted, but for a bridge, it may not be a bad idea.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks for the info both. I'd rather not 'pot' the p/up as I understand that this is what partly gives it its character. I'll see how it goes.
        Ta.

Comment

Be careful when potting Seths. You can ruin them. The bobbins are made of butyrate, which have lower melting point than newer plastics found in other pickups (such as 59).
          Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
          X