Dimarzio's PAF pro? is it the one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio's PAF pro? is it the one?

I got a breed and it is not perfect for me,it has a not so vintage mid peak and a pretty high output.
    someone here who has hands on experience with the PAF pro in the bridge spot can you tell me, can it get mean?
    i like a aggressive tone but not at the expense of sonic clarity.
    all the higher resistance pups all have that "congested tone" like someone with a stuffy nose! LOL! nasal is how i hear it like way the nanny(fran dresher) talks!
    i like a real open tone with more power like a PAF + that will do old evh,angus,zep, as well as get into a more modern metal tone?
    is the PAF pro a good canidate for this application?
    it has to be a dimarzio,i dont care for the way duncans,gibsons or others sound in a ibanez RG

this is the guitar

and i use a behringer rack set up for my amp
    Last edited by RG 2570; 04-05-2004, 08:36 AM. Reason: need general opinions about it

Re: Dimarzio's PAF pro? is it the one?

I've had good luck with a Duncan S Demon with a vintage Sprague cap installed to roll off the shrillness a little..I use that pickup in a Les Paul in a Zeppelin tribute band and it sounds really good

Comment

DiMarzio PAF Pro will absolutely rock in the bridge. If you insist on DiMarzio, the FRED is similar but with more midrange. If you want a little more power than the PAF Pro, but less than the Breed, you might want to try the Air Zone. Personally, I would pick the PAF Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthsayer
        DiMarzio PAF Pro will absolutely rock in the bridge. If you insist on DiMarzio, the FRED is similar but with more midrange. If you want a little more power than the PAF Pro, but less than the Breed, you might want to try the Air Zone. Personally, I would pick the PAF Pro.
        Read my other post about the Dimarzio Fred pickup..I like this pickup alot..It's similar to the Scremon Demon but it isn't a SD...

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Here's the info from me about the Fred pickup..

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthsayer
            DiMarzio PAF Pro will absolutely rock in the bridge. Personally, I would pick the PAF Pro.
            I will exchange the breed for one. i just hope the pro is not nasal?

Comment

Not nasal at all! As you might've noticed I have a Paf Pro in the neck and it's amazing! It can indeed get very raw and agressive, when I first tried it I was like: "Isn't this a rather low-to-medium output pup?", because I was playing Megadeth's When. If you know the song, you can sound exactly like that! I like the wah-vowel it has, it actually adds a little sharpness to my JB when used together. With Full Distortion (member) posted a soundclip of the Paf Pro used in the bridge, and that guy doesn't play anything but Metal! I think it could get very Paf voiced, with the right amp and the gain knob slightly turned back.
              Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
              Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
              Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
              Marshall 2x12 Vintage
              Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I've got an F-Spaced PAF Prof for sale...mint condition on top, lead is about 6" (slightly longer, but being conservative)...black. $40 shipped in the lower 48. Original box.

Good tone, it just wasn't for me. Is it vintage....yes and no. To me it had a somewhat flat eq response...but again not bad. 8.5k is where is comes in. I replaced it with a 59' and like that much better for my tone. The PAF Pro was just too smooth for me, not enough bite. It may do better in another type axe...like yours.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

i have soundclips of my paf pro in the bridge
                  if you want, i can send it to yoru email
                  Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                  Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                  Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                  Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                  Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                  Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                  Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                  Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF

"Virtual PAFTM Bridge Model DP197/DP197F

MP3 Soundbyte
                    Español

In the past there were no high-gain amps, no home recording studios, no computer monitors. Single-coil pickups were okay, and so were unpotted humbuckers. Who knew? Times have changed, but the clean, bright-yet-warm tone of the best vintage pickups still sets the standard for electric guitar sound. The Virtual PAFTM captures the finest qualities of 50s and early 60s humbuckers to create a great sound. Patented AirbuckerTM and Virtual Vintage® technology permit the use of an Alnico 5 magnet to generate the same low string-pull that an Alnico 2 or 3 produces, and combine two of the most sought-after tonal characteristics: low note clarity and high note warmth. The neck model has a pure, bell-tone chime and the bridge model has a thicker, woody sound. The Virtual PAFTM is available with both standard and F-spaced pole pieces and comes in black, creme and zebra (black and creme), as well as with nickel or gold-plated covers, and comes with 4-conductor cable for all coil-access combinations.

Recommended For:

All positions.

Tech Talk:

An obvious question is the differences between the Virtual PAFTM and models like the PAF® and Air ClassicTM The Virtual Vintage® technology in the Virtual PAFTM adds a subtle, 3-dimensional presence to the overall tonality. It's particularly noticeable in the tonal balance between high and low notes: the high E string doesn't get brittle-sounding on the high frets, and the low E string doesn't 'mud out' on the lowest frets. Another advantage to the technology can be heard in split (single) coil mode. Most lower-output humbuckers have a very thin sound in this mode, but the Virtual PAFTM has a warmer, more solid split sound. This also makes the bridge model very useful in 3-pickup S-S-H guitars, because the Virtual PAFTM balances very well with many single-coils in both humbucking and split modes.

Specifications:

Wiring Standard four conductor
                    Magnet Alnico 5
                    Output 230mV
                    DC Resistance 8.32K
                    Year of introduction 2001
                    Patent # 5,908,998 & 5,399,802 "

Fropm DiMarzio site.

Last edited by GHWelles; 04-04-2004, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I think it's a great pickup....one of the most well balanced pickups out there IMO. It's not as aggressive as other pickups but that's a great thing for just hard rock and classic rock IMO. I would use it for metal to but just not for really fast articulate stuff. But man it sings. If they made it slightly higher output and a bit tighter and more aggressive it would definitely be at the top of my list of pickups to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                        I've got an F-Spaced PAF Prof for sale...mint condition on top, lead is about 6" (slightly longer, but being conservative)...black. $40 shipped in the lower 48. Original box.

Good tone, it just wasn't for me. Is it vintage....yes and no. To me it had a somewhat flat eq response...but again not bad. 8.5k is where is comes in. I replaced it with a 59' and like that much better for my tone. The PAF Pro was just too smooth for me, not enough bite. It may do better in another type axe...like yours.

I got one for a exchange and love it! i would buy yours for the neck though!

Comment

Working...
                        X