SG special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG special

well, i've decided to save up for a gibson SG special (satin ebony, all black, i'm going to put on some chrome grovers, and maybe aluminum hardware when i get some more cash).
    It's weird --it doesn't come with pickup rings. how does this work?

anyway,
    do you think a custom bridge and alnico pro II neck would work well together?
    would I get a buttery smooth clean tone while still having power at the bridge and lots of balls?

maybe the APH II would be too soft..
    maybe a PG!

(Curse you seymour, for making my options so large! Look what you're doing to some like me--someone who can't make up their mind worth a-..)

I'm also saving up for a new amp (marshall DSL 2000 with 1960 cab probably) in the future, to give me a thick thick distortion. Will the custom give me that thickness and still retain clarity (i.e. being able to clearly differentiate between chords )?

What would some other great SG combos be?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by kap_x; 10-21-2004, 09:58 PM.

Re: SG special

On a SG with full pickguard, the pickups are mounted thru the pickguard, Youll have to remove it completely.

Great combos for SG, IMO, are Seths, '59. Cant comment much more.
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I have a 59/C5 in my SG Special, though I'm considering changing the 59 to a Jazz, as I enjoy the clear/glassy sound more that I have heard from the Jazz. The C5 is cool, though if you want a more modern/ballsy than vintage/ballsy tone you might try the Custom. As is stated.... somewhere... the C5 is like a 59 on steroids. Has the old school vibe, with a bigger kick (to my ears anyway)

Comment

I found the AII's can get pretty muddy in the neck of an all mahogany guitar ... not always of corse ... but I'd prolly go w/ something w/ an A5 ... the 59's are pretty hard to beat in an SG IMO. 59/ C5 also sounds like a winning combo to me..
        "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

I have 59s in all my other guitars, and I think I may want something new. Maybe a jazz, probably a PGn..

What about a Duncan Distortion? From what I hear, they sound great in SGs and maybe that would be just what I'm looking for.

I want a distortion similar to that of Ryan Key of yellowcard (he plays an SG, but I have no idea the pickups), or maybe lit/buckcherryesque.

I want clarity and openness--minimal compression

How well does the DD clean up?
          also, will the PGn's upper-mids be too much to handle in a thin mahogany guitar?

Thanks for the feedback!
          Last edited by kap_x; 10-22-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

The DD has an raw and bright tone. The cleans are surprisingly good for a high-output Pickup.
            But clarity and openness aren't the words to describe the DD. It also depens on the guitar.
            I like the DD on strat style guitars, but on my Explorer i'm not satisfied. Not very open and not warm. I even replaced it with a '59!!! But i'm still not satisfied. Warm, open, fat, but lacks a bit of output.
            Pickups... the final frontier.
            These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
            Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Working...
            X