Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymour had it right years ago: Jazz & JB the perfect combo

Originally posted by Mac-P
    Nothing wrong with my guitars, amps or effects boards.

The C5 with it's scooped out mids sounded mosquito like at the same amp settings (and same guitar) that the '59n sounded massive.

Mind you, this is in the mix of a band where the bassist is occupying the bass frequencies. The lack of mids left a "tinkle" of a guitar sound in the mix. Kinda weak. Think Kirk Hammet (thin) vs. Warren Haynes (big and fat).

JB solved that problem (as did a few other pickups that were richer in midrange content) very well. Wider notes that are much bigger, more powerful, and more audible.

The C5 may be some players taste, but not my cup of tea. At bedroom volumes, by itself, without a band maybe it would be a different story. But gigging and recording - it only made me frustrated. And I tried two different C5's and they were exactly the same.

If you want to buy mine I have a Custom Shop in chrome for sale.

Sounds like you're a Warren fan too.... What would you guys suggest for the bridge of a PRS McCarty for a Warren-esque vibe? I've got a Jazz/JB combo in my LP Studio and it can nail it in spades, but I'm afraid to do the same for the McCarty just because I've been told it might be too bright in that guitar.

I'm actually trying to tame some high end on that guitar and add some more bottom and mids. Any suggestions???

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
      Mind you, this is in the mix of a band where the bassist is occupying the bass frequencies. The lack of mids left a "tinkle" of a guitar sound in the mix. Kinda weak. Think Kirk Hammet (thin) vs. Warren Haynes (big and fat).
      Isn't Warren Haynes playing SLOs? Don't know anything about this guy. but there is a Warren Haynes Mod, isn't it?
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by StevieRaveOn
        Sounds like you're a Warren fan too.... What would you guys suggest for the bridge of a PRS McCarty for a Warren-esque vibe? I've got a Jazz/JB combo in my LP Studio and it can nail it in spades, but I'm afraid to do the same for the McCarty just because I've been told it might be too bright in that guitar.

I'm actually trying to tame some high end on that guitar and add some more bottom and mids. Any suggestions???
        Love Warren.

Warren uses a Pearly Gates neck and bridge in most of his Les Pauls.

Keep in mind he is playing through a modded Soldano that is very thick sounding.

The JB can warm up the PRS depending on how the guitar sounds. Not sure about the pickup that is in there already. If it is a really bright pickup the JB maty be warmer. Or if it is a warm pickup, the reverse.....

Originally posted by Marcel
        Isn't Warren Haynes playing SLOs? Don't know anything about this guy. but there is a Warren Haynes Mod, isn't it?
        Yes, the Soldano Warren Haynes mod is a stock option that increases bass and lower mids when the pre-amp gain is set low (the way Warren likes it).

Those are really high gain amps, but Warren uses it for more of a "heavy vintage" sound which requires that the tone be clear and not SO distorted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

300k pots are recomended for the JB and Jazz? Aren't P90s also paired with 300k pots? So a JB would match my guitar with a P90 ialready n the neck?

Comment

I may be on your side soon Mac-P.

I have been listening closely to the pickup sound samples on the Pickup page and to me the JB sounds the best clean and dirty in the bridge........and the Jazz sounds the best clean and dirty in the neck. Again this is for my more heavy and modern style I go for these days. To me these samples tell me this pickup combo is THE ONE for my LP for my style. I was told a long time ago that it is hard to beat a JB\Jazz in a Les Paul and maybe I should have listened. In my search I've used the stock burstbucker pros, C-5, and now the Rio Grande BBQ which some say is a better JB. Not sure, but I like what i hear on the sound files page and may be looking for a JB/Jazz soon.

I think I was scared of by two things concerning the JB from the start. Number one is that I had heard a few times that it is too hot for variety and two that it lacks bass. I don't think the bass thing is an issue with my Les Paul or Vetta head and cabinet, and I hear a warm and big (full) sound when I really listen closely to those samples. I also hear dynamics and tone! I also had been scared off by people talking about how the JB does 80s metal well....not my thing anymore. I am much more a modern rock guy these days but I always drag a solo in from time to time. Think Alice in Chains, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Fuel......thats what I go for now.

For you JB guys.....do you notice a difference from covered to open coil?

Comment

Working...
            X