Bass Players Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Players Poll

The Ultimate Question - Active or Passive? and why?

I choose passive. Actives sound way too artificial and processed for my liking. It's true that their tone is a bit more variable and clean. Not to mention that string to string response in more steady. But I happen to dig that dark, warm tone that only passives offer. I can't find a bass pickup that works better for my tone than the Quarter Pounder for P. Currently, I'm playing a Squier P/J that has a P body, J neck and Quarter Pounders in both P and J positions.

I wouldn't trade my setup for all the EMGs in the world, but that's just my .02 Any thoughts?
    Active
    38.46%
    Passive
    61.54%
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Bass Players Poll

Active. More flexibility, and I haven´t had problems with sterility or such yet. But so far I´ve used either Bartolöinis with an SKC-preamp or Duncan Lightning Rods

That reminds me, I need to get a new set of Pickups for my Washburn, the Rods A customer took off of me a few weeks ago....
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I've always liked active's more for bass. It gives me the option to shape my tone more for different styled songs.

Comment

My Bass player swears by EMGs And I understand why Cuz' he gets a smooth even
        tone, And there much easier to amplify. But one day I brought my G&L L1000 down
        to a rehearshal. Everybody agreed it sounded better Than his EMG equiped J-bass ??
        IMHO active's sound better in a P-bass than a J- bass. I vote for passive
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

For bass active pups are OK, I am just not a fan of active pickups.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Actives are great for the shear versitility, and if i had to pick between actives and passives, i'd go active every time, but i prefer the sound of passives.
            Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

For me, passives always sound better and most of my tonal versatility comes from tweaking the bass's knobs, the EQ settings and varying my playing styles. It's really amazing how many different sounds you can get out of an ordinary passive P/J setup if you use your imagination and your equipment to the greatest of it's potential. I've used actives and you can do a ton of great stuff with them, but it always came down to the fact that they sounded a bit too "cold" and "stiff" and I could never get rid of that unless I just grabbed my old P-bass.
              It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Working...
              X