a word about wagners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a word about wagners.

I recently installed a set of fillmore's in a R8 and a set of DB's in a R9..

I am extreamly impressed w/ both sets of p'ups .. the fillmores are crunchy .. tons of overtones .. straight ahead 70's hard rock ... def. not too bright or thin .. plenty of punch ... and I really like the neck's ability to clean up when turned down ... well balanced .. killer!

the DB's or darkbucker's are as smooth as a babies butt .. effortless "woman" tone and sustain for day's .. so sweet and vintage sounding ... some might not get enough ooomph outta the bridge but I really felt these pups put this guitar into a whole 'nuther realm ... now it sounds as good as it plays .. and then some ..

anyone else had the pleasure of hearing these ... I'd sure like to check out the single coils he makes .. cuz if they're anything like the buckers .. well you get the idea...

~G
    "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Re: a word about wagners.

I have a set of Fillmores, and your decription of them is spot-on. They do clean up very nicely, and are very articulate. Big, creamy sound. Great pup for rock and blues.

Comment

I am planning to put a set of WCR, either Darburster or Goodwoods. I don't play metal, but heavy rock to shred, lots of early 90's stuff. I am a bit tired of high gain PUs. I would like to find a pair of PUs with vintage vibe and attitude, but that can handle high gain too. Do you think the DBs can do this (think GNR, Extreme, and lighter stuff too)?
      I was thinking of the A2P Customshop too.

Ced777

Comment

Are Goodwoods the highest output PAF -style pickups that Wagner makes? I too am looking for vintage tone that can do heavy, but I don't want high output pickups.

Comment

I received an email from Jim Wagner. He think the DBs would be the best choice (over the Goodwoods). I would like some "testimony" of users. I am a bit reluctant....

Ced777

Comment

ya...if you go wagner .. I'd go w/ the DB's ced... that smooth slash solo tone you're lookin for is in there..I think it'll handle all of what you mention .. although I'm not so sure about the shredability factor ??

the fillmores are hotter than both the GW's and DB's ... def. hotter than the DB's .. brighter and crunchier too. I thought the DB's were hotter than the GW's but I'm not positive...
            "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

Yes I think the DB would do the job...

Comment

Working...
              X