AHB-1 Blackouts in a Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHB-1 Blackouts in a Les Paul?

I’ve never been a big fan of active pickups but the last few guitars I’ve heard with blackouts in them have sounded nice. I don’t want to lose the tonal qualities of the guitar to the active pickup and I really don’t want to turn the Les Paul into a “generic metal sounding guitar”.

Anyone have a set of blackouts in a Les Paul? Any input would be awesome.

I’d be looking at picking up the two-pickup set. I guess they come with all “necessary mounting hardware, including pots, jack, and a battery clip.” But I think they come with short shaft pots I’d have to pick up some long shafts like these right? http://www.allparts.com/25K-Long-Thr...p-4645-000.htm
    Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
    If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Re: AHB-1 Blackouts in a Les Paul?

Originally posted by Wonker View Post
    I’ve never been a big fan of active pickups but the last few guitars I’ve heard with blackouts in them have sounded nice. I don’t want to lose the tonal qualities of the guitar to the active pickup and I really don’t want to turn the Les Paul into a “generic metal sounding guitar”.

Anyone have a set of blackouts in a Les Paul? Any input would be awesome.

I’d be looking at picking up the two-pickup set. I guess they come with all “necessary mounting hardware, including pots, jack, and a battery clip.” But I think they come with short shaft pots I’d have to pick up some long shafts like these right? http://www.allparts.com/25K-Long-Thr...p-4645-000.htm
    generally,
    Epi= short
    Gibson = long

Comment

I had an EMG Zack Wylde set in a Les Paul with the 18 volt mod. It was good, but a bit flat and sterile. I tried the Blackout set.

The bridge I love, it's like an EMG 81 but more output, a more lower mids, sounds warmer, "hairier", and really pushes an amp. It's really like a freight train coming through your amp- some may feel it's too powerful for a Les Paul- just turn down your gain a little and adjust your amp settings to tame it

The neck I felt was good, it was clear but I felt it eliminated the traditional Les Paul neck pickup PAF tone- so I replaced it with a Live Wire Classic 2 neck for my personal preference. Better clean tone.

Since my Les Paul was already wired for EMG's I used the EMG long shaft pots that came with the Zack Wylde set

Comment

A Les Paul with a Duncan BlackOut Metal in the bridge > then regular BlackOut bridge (to my ears)

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

I find the regular BO too shrill, but the Metal is bloody awesome.

YMMV
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
          A Les Paul with a Duncan BlackOut Metal in the bridge > then regular BlackOut bridge (to my ears)

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

I find the regular BO too shrill, but the Metal is bloody awesome.

YMMV

" Blackouts Metal have a unique dual pin configuration on the underside of the pickup for two modes of output: loud and louder. With the same aggressive tonality in each mode, you now have a choice in output. With the jumper removed, you have a high output bridge humbucker that’s still compatible with a neck pickup or the clean channel on your amp. However, with the jumper in place, you unleash all the raw power, incredible output, and untamed aggression. The pins can also be wired to a mini-switch or push/pull, for an on board boost! Not splitable. Available with black or white covers ".
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have $.02 they would like to add?
            Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic
            If you think an Epi is as good as a Gibson, you're probablly not old enough to find the clit yet.

Comment

Here's a vid of a forum bro that slapped a Blackout set into his Indie LP with a Floyd... close enough? I do like the tones he's getting here.

This is a demo of the Indie LP Floyd guitar with a Gotoh Floyd trem system. Beautiful guitar, plays and sounds great. I am running through my AxeFx Ultra/A...

Personally I liked the core tone of the Blackouts but after playing with 'em for about a month I though that they were too hot and too compressed for me. YMMV.

Comment

i favor the ahb-3's over the 1's personally. never messed with the 2's. and if you call SD, theyll send you long shaft pots if youre installing into an LP, i believe at no charge too.

Comment

I used to have the "Zakk Wylde" EMG set of 81-85s in my LP. First of all, these were the same as any other EMG set of 81-85s (save for longer pots/stems for those that use LPs) and it was ok but to my ears, the 81 sounds flimsy and thin. My co guitarst gave me a Blackout to try in the bridge and I was hooked. Blackouts totally b1tch-slap EMGs, IMHO. Now I have a nickle plated set of AHB1s in my LP and combined with a super loud 3120, it's a metal tone to die for. No need for boost or overdrive with these bad boys! Now I won't play without them. They're that good.
                  Last edited by AngryDeli; 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM.
                  A guy walks into a bar and yells out, "All attorneys are a$$holes!" A guy at the bar says, "Hey, I take offense to that!" The offender then asks, "What, are you an attorney?" Man at the bar says, "No, I'm a$$hole!"

Comment

I have the ABH1s in my Gibson LP traditional plus, it slays. I had a a LP with EMGs and the two pups are worlds apart. I have no experience with the ABH2 or 3 but tech who works at the local music actually started recommending blackouts over EMGs for LPs after installing them in my guitar. I'm waiting on a classic custom for after the holidays and its getting blackouts.

I dont think you'll be disappointed if you get some in your LP or similar guitar.

Comment

Working...
                    X