Jackson Rhoads advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads advice

I'm looking to do a pickup switch in the bridge of a mid-range Jackson Rhoades model (yeah, I know - pointy guitars give ya' V.D.). I play mostly rhythm (AC/DC to Metallica). I'm trying do decide between a JB or Custom Custom. From what I'm reading, the JB is obviously popular & sounds like a great pickup, but I'm a little afraid it may be too bright for this guitar & is perhaps more suited for leads than rhythm. The Custom Custom sounds like it may be more my style, but I believe it has a little less output & may be too mid range based without enough treble & output for the heavier stuff.

Opinions????

Re: Jackson Rhoads advice

i honestly don't think the jb can sound too bright in anything....that thing just give off great tone......it's all about the matter of taste.....hope you get what i mean.......honestly i don't believe the whole theory about not putting a certain pup in a guitar cause the guitar is too bright.......i mean the jb and the screamin demon have been used by many in les pauls and maple body guitars and both pups excels in both axes......
    Guitars:
    87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
    86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
    87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
    Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
    Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
    Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

The Rhoads Jackons come stock with a set of JB's unless it's the RR3 model. Is that what you have? The JB is very versitle. You can cover alot of styles with it and it sounds great in the Jacksons that I've played.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter
        The Rhoads Jackons come stock with a set of JB's unless it's the RR3 model. Is that what you have? The JB is very versitle. You can cover alot of styles with it and it sounds great in the Jacksons that I've played.
        Mine must be the RR3 model because it came with the "Duncan Designed" PUP's. How's the palm mute sound on the JB?

Comment

Originally posted by evildik
          Mine must be the RR3 model because it came with the "Duncan Designed" PUP's. How's the palm mute sound on the JB?
          Hey e,

I recently owned a RR1(Maple neck thru Alder body) that came stock with the JB/Jazz combo. I really thought the JB was to bright for my guitar. I swapped it out for an Invader and the tone was greatly improved IMO. I have recently sold the guitar to purchase other objects of my desire, and in retrospect I would have like to tried a C5 or Distortion in it's place. Just to add to the confusion, I have a USA KV4 Jackson that wails with a Dime at the bridge(replacing the stock JB, again). So I guess I'm saying that I would go with either the C5, Dime, or Distortion if it were my choice. I believe the JB is more well suited to Mahogany geetars, but thats just this geeks opinion.
          Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Originally posted by scooter
            Not quite right. Jackson USA Rhoads (RR-1 and 2 series) have been loaded with a JB- Bridge/ Jazz Neck since about ´96. The RR-5 is loaded with twin Distortions, and all of the others use either Jackson pups or Duncan Designed. In the days before duncan designed, they all used Jackson pickups, on the Pros and up with the Active electronics to boot.

And BTW, there´s no such thing as a USA KV-4, the KV-4 was produced in Korea for it´s short lived history (´98-2000). Bolt on neck, alder body, 2 Jackson pickups, J-390 Tune-o-matic. The KV-3 had identical specs except for the JT-580LP bridge and D. Des pickups. The KV-2 and KV-1 are the USA models.

Does it say "Made in USA" after Jackson on the headstock and I just caught a typo? Or maybe you got the model wrong
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I think the JB sounds too thin at the bridge on the Alder USA Jacksons. My USA Kelly sounded on the thin side till I pulled the JB out and put a BL L-500XL in. I have played a few other USA Jackson guitars with Distortions and Customs in it-they sound WAYYY better than the JB.

Just the way I hear it though. The JB is a GREAT pickup, but it's better suited to dark tone wood guitars IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                Not quite right. Jackson USA Rhoads (RR-1 and 2 series) have been loaded with a JB- Bridge/ Jazz Neck since about ´96. The RR-5 is loaded with twin Distortions, and all of the others use either Jackson pups or Duncan Designed. In the days before duncan designed, they all used Jackson pickups, on the Pros and up with the Active electronics to boot.

And BTW, there´s no such thing as a USA KV-4, the KV-4 was produced in Korea for it´s short lived history (´98-2000). Bolt on neck, alder body, 2 Jackson pickups, J-390 Tune-o-matic. The KV-3 had identical specs except for the JT-580LP bridge and D. Des pickups. The KV-2 and KV-1 are the USA models.

Does it say "Made in USA" after Jackson on the headstock and I just caught a typo? Or maybe you got the model wrong
                Frankly, I don't know what the exact model is. I bought it about 5 years or so ago. It says Jackson Professional on the headstock (no Made in the USA). It has a Floyd bridge, bolt on neck, no pickguard & a flamed maple top with a purple to black sunburst. It's really a striking looking guitar & comfortable to play. I just want to beef up the sound a little. I'd be curious to know what the model is if you can help.

Back to pup's, I tried a Carvin C22T in it, because I have one of their amps which I like a lot. It's OK, but I want more output plus it is on the bright side with this guitar.
                Last edited by evildik; 04-03-2004, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X