Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Air Zone in a PAUL????

Hello all!

I am finding that my LP is very deep, lively and somewhat bright in tone. I was thinking of the Rio Grande BBQ.....but what about the Dimarazio Air Zone as an option? I can't think of anything by Duncan that would be similar.

Anyone tried one in a Paul for heavy music? Primarily modern.

Thanks!

Re: Dimarzio Air Zone in a PAUL????

An Air Zone is the perfect pickup for ANY guitar that needs the benefit of a big fat warm yet CLEAR bridge humbucker.

There are MANY MANY MANY Les Pauls that aren't all that warm, just like there are Strats that aren't all that bright and crisp.

If your Les Paul's bridge slot sounds anemic and in need of some serious warming up and power while 100% retaining clarity, the Air Zone is a fantastic pickup.

And you are right; there isn't a Duncan equivalent. The closest I've tried is the JB which is a bit brighter and more distorted (and I love IT too).

Peace.
    Last edited by Mac-P; 04-01-2004, 10:35 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I just installed an AirZone in my wolfgang and love it. FAT Paf tone and retains its character thru overdrive/distortioin. I wish Seymour made something simuliar that you didn't have to special order and pay a forturne for.

Comment

I think I am going to get one off ebay because my LP needs to have the highs tames..

I'd love to know how it sounds next to the Rio BBQ.

My concern is too many mids for a le paul causing mud city.
        Last edited by papersoul; 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
          An Air Zone is the perfect pickup for ANY guitar that needs the benefit of a big fat warm yet CLEAR bridge humbucker.

There are MANY MANY MANY Les Pauls that aren't all that warm, just like there are Strats that aren't all that bright and crisp.

If your Les Paul's bridge slot sounds anemic and in need of some serious warming up and power while 100% retaining clarity, the Air Zone is a fantastic pickup.

And you are right; there isn't a Duncan equivalent. The closest I've tried is the JB which is a bit brighter and more distorted (and I love IT too).

Peace.
          Mac, I rememebr you saying the Air Zone is one great Dimarzio p'up...but could it be muddy in a Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
            Mac, I rememebr you saying the Air Zone is one great Dimarzio p'up...but could it be muddy in a Paul?

I guess in the wrong Les Paul it could.

If you need more warmth and a bit less treble I doubt that it could make it THAT muddy....... I don't have your guitar, so......

There is only one way to find out.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
            buggjuice.net
            MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hello all!

I am finding that my LP is very deep, lively and somewhat bright in tone. I was thinking of the Rio Grande BBQ.....but what about the Dimarazio Air Zone as an option? I can't think of anything by Duncan that would be similar.

Anyone tried one in a Paul for heavy music? Primarily modern.

Thanks!
              the AZ will work in a "BRIGHT" lester with real good results much better than the
              bbq which i think needs to be thrown back on the fire

Comment

Well, thus far the C-5 is doing great in the LP! I still want to try the Custom or the Air Zone at some point.

I don't know if I would want less highs than the C-5 or Custom for clarity reasons.

Comment

Well, thus far the C-5 is doing great in the LP! I still want to try the Custom or the Air Zone at some point.

I don't know if I would want less highs than the C-5 or Custom for clarity reasons.
                  if you are out for clarity while staying with a very fat tone the AZ is king! trow the rio on the BBQ for lunch!
                  it has amazing clarity for such a fat toned pup!
                  the custom is not quite as fat as a AZ but is also better than a C 5 for clarity.
                  the custom and AZ are both very balanced toned,but i prefer the custom for a high clarity, driving,pafish tone the AZ has the better clean tone btw.
                  so here ya go,
                  very fat tone with great defintion and clarity= air zone works best in a bright guitar.
                  P.a.fish,hard driving tone with great clarity,scream,cut,harmonics,etc= duncan CUSTOM

Comment

Okay, so now I have to get both of ebay and try.

Comment

Working...
                    X