Split a H/B in a 5 way switch Config.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split a H/B in a 5 way switch Config.

I'm after some info and advice on wiring some pickups I just bought from you guys. I have a 3 pickup configuration (2 H/B's at neck & Bridge and a Single Coil in the middle) with a standard 5 way strat style switch (running a split in the 2 and 4 position).....But I also want to install a push/pull pot on the volume to activate a split coil configuration when in the neck H/B position. I'm not sure how to wire this split into the 5 way switch configuration.
    Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Oakus.
    Last edited by Oakus; 04-01-2004, 11:30 PM. Reason: need to clarify

Re: Split a H/B in a 5 way switch Config.

Hi Oakus; I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "running a split in the 2 and 4 position". Normally, 2 is neck and middle, with 4 being bridge and middle.

Regardless, in order to split the neck humbucker, you just take its red and white wire, which should be soldered together somewhere, and connect them to the middle lug of your push/pull pot. Then connect the top lug of that same wafer to ground.

You can use this drawing as a reference, just note that you want the ground connection of the switch on the top lug, rather than the bottom lug. (To give "split" operation when the knob is pulled.)

Let us know if you need any more clarification.

Comment

some guys wire 2 and 4 to be "neck (split) in parallel with the middle" and the "bridge (split) in parallel with the middle" ...

you could use a DPDT push/pull to be able to split either the neck or the bridge .. then just connect the output of the DPDT to the 5-way .. in pos 2 and 4, you'd have either possibilty (hum + middle or split + middle, depending on if you were pushed or pulled)

good luck
      cheers,
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Hi Oakus -

Are you starting with this schematic? I know it only has 1 tone control - are you using 2 tones, and if so, do you want the second tone control on the middle or bridge pickup? (I'll add that later if you do.)

Anyway, if you start with that schematic, you could run a wire from the neck pickup's red/white connection on the 5-way switch to the middle terminal on a push/pull switch and connect the "top" terminal on the same side of the switch to ground (just like Artie showed you).

Also, I agree with t4d about having the switch split the bridge too. Since you only need one side of the push/pull to split a humbucker, why not use the other side to split the bridge pickup too?

Last, if you're working on a Strat or anything else with a similar volume pot location, I'd strongly advise against putting a push/pull in the volume spot. When it's pulled up, I hit the darn thing constantly with my right hand...

Hope this helps,

Chip
        Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
        Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
        Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
        SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
        SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
        "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Thanks very much guys. I think I'm all straight on what to do. Cheers.
          Thanks again. Oakus.

Ps. This site is awesome.

Comment

Working...
          X