Gonna try DiMarzio ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonna try DiMarzio ?

I forgot to ask you Strykeback: are your 2 PUs balanced concerning the output and power? No too much volume drop from bridge to neck?

Ced777

Comment

I have the Tone Zone/Air Norton set in my RG, which is an all mahogany bodied string-thru guitar. I haven't encountered the muddiness people talk about with the TZ in mahogany. I figure it has to do alot with the fact that this is a longer scale bolt-neck guitar, but I also eq my amp in a "bell curve" fashion. I love the way these two pickups complement each other, although I am curious to try a Steve's Special in the bridge at some point. I also hear the AZ/AN combo is gorgeous.
      After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the DiMarzio FS-1 is an excellent pickup for fattening up a Strat bridge position while still sounding essentially Stratty. Larry did a good job with that one.

I had a Super Distortion in a 70s SG for a couple of weeks, but I found it too harsh and ended up putting the stock pickup (a T-Top I think) back.

Tried the HS-3 in my Strat and it was the worst replacement pickup I've experienced - totally flat and lifeless IMO. Maybe that's the way Yngwie likes 'em.

Comment

The two are pretty well balanced when switching between the virtual paf neck and the air zone bridge. My guitar is neck through string through all mohagany so it should have plenty of base. Dimarzio's techs didn't want me to put an air norton in the neck because it would be too bassy. And the air zone is supposed to be one of their bassier pickups in the bridge.

I love the virtual paf in the neck though, I can't wait to have one of my friends try it out that has an old gibson custom...This v PAF is gorgeous sounding. The harmonics are easily there with the air zone its very well definied but yeah, like I said, I was just wondering if that was normal to have
          a pretty big roll off of lows. Could this be a quick fix? Use the clean channel on my amp eqed for the neck, possibly kicking in an overdrive pedal if i want that, and then have the bridge pickup set for the distrotion channel? I'm trying to figure out a way to get the most ease and flexibility when switching between the two.

Comment

My guitar is mahogany + maple top. I'm pretty confident in the DiMarzio's tech judgement. He told me too that the AZ + EJ Custom (200mV) would be balanced.

It's pretty strange that you get few bass. But each guitar is different. What PU had you there before the AZ? Did you tried to adjust the height?

Ced777

Comment

the stock pup from ibanez was in there before the air zone and that one sounded like a strat, all high end and no lows...Both pups have about the same height of 3/32 or whatever its supposed to be 3 over something of an inch. Yeah dimarzios techs told me the virtual paf and the air zone or the air classic bridge model in the neck along witht he air zone. virtual paf's got 210mv while my bridge air zone has 323mv. Maybe i can get even closer with the airzone to the strings. How close is too close?

Comment

Don't get closer than 1 or 2 mm (even with the Airbucker technology I think).
                It seems you have a bright guitar (no bass at all with the stock PU).

Ced777

Comment

its all mohogany! how can it not be bright? dimarzio was worried it would be too dark...I'l try moving it closer on the bridge.
                  The neck is plenty dark...shoot the pups were dark and muddy in the neck.

Is that 1 to 2 mm with the string having no tension or do I fret anywhere on the board for that measurement?

Comment

String with tension, no fret, tremolo neither pushed nor pulled.

Ced777

Comment

Working...
                    X