banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pups does Gary Moore use in his Gibsons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pups does Gary Moore use in his Gibsons?

Just want to get the Gary Moore tone (of course, as close as I get ). I've read he used Burstbuckers and PAFs. Am I right?
    Do you know something about the gear too?

Mike

Re: What pups does Gary Moore use in his Gibsons?

i'ved read somewhere that he uses tom holmes humbuckers on his sig. les paul. i think he mainly uses marshalls ampwise.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

The Gibson Gary Moore signature Les Paul of a few years ago had uncovered Burstbuckers in it. I'm pretty certain Gary's vintage Les Pauls (especially the ex Peter Green one!) have the original PAFs.

I believe he's been using a Marshall DSL100 on stage in recent years. Here's an article about his Marshall collection:

Comment

His original Pauls have the original PAF's, his signature Pauls have Burstbuckers, butr several of his guitars do have Holmes buckers, add to that a collection of Marshall amps that woiuld make Billy Gibbons cry and you'll get close. He also usees the early MArshall Bluesbreaker pedal alot.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
          He also usees the early MArshall Bluesbreaker pedal alot.
          Good point. Here's an excerpt from that article:

"Of all the various tones that have been heard on Gary's records, the sounds on the Still Got The Blues album are the most asked about by fans on a regular basis. During 1989 the JTM Reissue series was in the final stages of development, and Gary received an early production model [RI 001 1X] at the start of the initial recordings that would become the 'Still Got The Blues' album.
          Used in conjunction with a 1959 Les Paul Standard, a Marshall Guv'nor pedal, and a 1960B 4x12" cab loaded with Electrovoice 12" speakers, it became the featured tone of the album, heard on nearly all the tracks including the title track."

Comment

Yeah!!! That pedal in to a marshall power by a Les Paul with PAF type pups and your WAY over half way there!!! Nowm if we could all play like GAry, we'd be doing allright!!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
              i'ved read somewhere that he uses tom holmes humbuckers on his sig. les paul. i think he mainly uses marshalls ampwise.

That was used on the prototype. The later ones all have Burstbuckers. As for his vintage LPs, they all have original PAFs (especially Greeny's guitar)

Jeff
              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                He also usees the early MArshall Bluesbreaker pedal alot.
                Actually, it's an early Marshall "The Guv'nor" pedal...

-Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                  Actually, it's an early Marshall "The Guv'nor" pedal...

Indeed you guys are right...he said it was a Guv'nor into a bluesbreaker... As far as the Tom Holmes buckers in his Pauls...I was not talking about the ones you can go buy...but several of HIS guitars.

Comment

believe to remember he used a soldano stack for his "dark days in paradise" tour
                    Chris
                    Fender Strat Elite, Epiphone Emporer Regent, Framus Renegade Pro (4x SD Pickups!!!), modded Samick Skull&Snake
                    Marshall 6101, Vox AD30VT
                    Pedals, pedals, pedals ...

Comment

the Tubescreamer has always been a favourite of Gary's as well. Plug an LP into one, set the controls at about 2 o'clock, and then into a cranked Marshall and you'll see what i mean.
                      I'll give you everything but my guitar and my car

Comment

I think that you can get close to his tone with a variety of pups, since they're all PAF based. Seth Lovers, Antiquities in the Duncan line for sure. 59's might be too bright, but in the right guitar they could get pretty close as well. Hell, even APH's or PG's may get you close. I don't have experience with Gibson pups, or Holmes. People seem to like both of those, so it really all comes down to personal taste.

The Marshall, Guvnor and Les Paul are going to be the most important elements
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                        X