Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 versus Jazz

Hello,

I have an Anderson Cobra - mahogany neck with mahogany/maple body. I don't like the stock pickups. I want nice rock & jazz tones, but also great cleans are very important. I have the ability to tap/split the coils with onboard switches. I have settled on a 59 for the bridge, but I am unsure about the neck pickup. What are the differences between the 59 and Jazz neck? Does anyone have any clips? Your comments?

Thanks in advance!
    -Mark
    "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Re: 59 versus Jazz

Originally posted by Fiesta Red
    Hello,

I have an Anderson Cobra - mahogany neck with mahogany/maple body. I don't like the stock pickups. I want nice rock & jazz tones, but also great cleans are very important. I have the ability to tap/split the coils with onboard switches. I have settled on a 59 for the bridge, but I am unsure about the neck pickup. What are the differences between the 59 and Jazz neck? Does anyone have any clips? Your comments?

Thanks in advance!
    -Mark
    the jazz is more transparent and has a glassier sheen.
    the 59 is basically a PAF which makes it warmer more vocal in the neck.
    the jazz however is my favorite for its clarity

Comment

Originally posted by SABOTAGE
      the jazz is more transparent and has a glassier sheen.
      the 59 is basically a PAF which makes it warmer more vocal in the neck.
      the jazz however is my favorite for its clarity
      I had a 59 in the neck of my Les Paul and just changed it to a Jazz last week. I like the Jazz a lot better too, as the 59 was too warm for my tatse. I also have the Jazz coil-split and it sounds good, and I didn't need to add a switch or a new pot, it just runs off the tone pot.

Comment

I think it depends on the guitar. The 59 for a brighter, the Jazz for a darker guitar.
        I think that the 59 and Jazz aren't so different. The 59 cuts the highs, where the jazz let them through.
        Pickups... the final frontier.
        These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
        Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

I prefer the jazz, but what don't you like about the Anderson pickups?
          Originally posted by The Minstrel
          Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I find the 59 a bit too boomy in the lows. The Jazz is much better in this department. Out of all the PAF class neck piskups, I like the Pearly Gates the best. It's not as bassy as the 59, but is more muscular than the Jazz.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

59 is more defined sounding

jazz has a more passive sound.

pearly gate is even LESS biting
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
              X