"Air" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Air" ?

Does anyone know if there's more to a DiMarzio "Air" pickup than the spacer between the magnet and pole pieces?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: "Air" ?

AFAIK, that's it...that's the BIG secret.

Comment

Sweet. I think I'm gonna turn my Air Norton into a Norton now
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
        Does anyone know if there's more to a DiMarzio "Air" pickup than the spacer between the magnet and pole pieces?
        That's is what I've been wondering, why do they call them "Air" Norton's??? What does an "airy" sound sound like guys???

Comment

The spacer simulates air between the pickup & magnet. Plus, "Air Norton" or "Air Zone" has more of a ring than "Cardboard Norton/Zone."

Comment

Has anyone done any temperature measurements?

Its not, by any chance, "hot" air, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Has anyone done any temperature measurements?

Its not, by any chance, "hot" air, is it?
              Heehee!
              Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
              Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
              Korg AX1500G multi-fx
              RAT
              Boss PH-1r
              Ibanez cf-7
              Ibanwz ts-7
              Danelectro tremolo
              Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Before the smart crew, which apparently isn't as such, gets started ... that space does what it says it does ... secondly the space becomes critical as to the actual distance, and the spacer material itself ...air refers to the series of pups having greater sensitivity, better harmonics, less string pull, and generally a more open, and more natural sustain of the upper harmonics ... or air. Refer also to when people speak of a violin having *air* in it's tone.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Well said Kent. [sarcasm]I just Love it when people slag something they've never tried out of brand loyalty[/sarcasm]

I like both Duncans and DiMarzios. They both have great pickups in their lineups and some that don't really float my boat. I personally like the regular Tone Zone over the Air Zone. And yes, I do have both. I also own guitars with Duncan Distortions, JB's and Custom 5's in them. All great pickups in their own right. Each one has it's sonic place for something.
                  Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

Yeah the air thing actually works....the magnetfield is softer, but you still have the A5 magnet crispness on the bass strings...nifty.
                    It is all a question of what you want.

Comment

Leaving the "air" intact, I put my Air Norton in the bridge of an Epi Les Paul, and I about sh*t when I heard it. It sounds great clean, and even better distorted.

Comment

I almost put an air norton in the neck of my SZ but everyone said it would be a bit too bassy with my mohogany guitar...so instead its got a virtual PAF in the neck, which is awesome. I have the air zone in the bridge, very nice. much more definied and articulate compared to the stock ones. With coil tapping I can even get a strat sound out of it.

Comment

I have a white tone zone that I do not like. I emailed dimarzio saying that maybe I could convert it to an Air Zone with spacers. They said that there is a lot more than the spacer in the design of the Air Zone to make up for the difference, and that it would not sound like a true Air zone.

I believe them, small ingredient differences in the pups can make a huge difference in sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcorey
                            I have a white tone zone that I do not like. I emailed dimarzio saying that maybe I could convert it to an Air Zone with spacers. They said that there is a lot more than the spacer in the design of the Air Zone to make up for the difference, and that it would not sound like a true Air zone.

I believe them, small ingredient differences in the pups can make a huge difference in sound.
                            Well, that sucks. So much for having 2 pickups in one, ala the Custom, C5 & CC.

Comment

Working...
                            X