banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys help me identify these pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys help me identify these pickups?

So here is the story. I got what I thought was a regular set of SSL-1s a while ago. When I got them I noticed right away that there were some numbers and letters stamped on the bottom. "R CRAY SD 2 87"

So I assumed right away that these were some Robert Cray models. I asked around and called and e-mailed Duncan and nothing.

Finally someone on another forum e-mailed me that he used to work for Duncan a while ago and these in fact were a special run or limited test run for Robert Cray models....so the story went something like that I can't recall the details.

Anywhoo I lost the guys e-mail and just wanted to get a second opinion if you guys might know.

Thanks.

Here are some links to pics.

Re: Can you guys help me identify these pickups?

Ah even the Duncan Gurus can't figure this one out huh?

Comment

You've got me stumped. The leads look a little too vintage though. PM Evan. If he dont know, nobody does.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I don't know what relevance the R Cray markings are. Dunno if they are Custom Shop specials or if they just came out of a Robert Cray sig. Strat. Apart from that they look like a set of SSL-1's. Evan is the man to ask on this one.
        GUITARS
        STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
        AMPS
        Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

dont know for sure. my guess is that they are just a set ssl1 and thats plenty cool enough, but who knows

Comment

Well I did get a reply from Scott at Duncan.

He mentioned that the numbers mean they are Alnico II Pros. He had me forward an e-mail to MJ at the custom shop to find out exact specs on them since they do appear to be some special run for R. Cray.

Stand by for more info.

Comment

Working...
            X