Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Im new :) choose a pickup

hello .
    my name is Noy and im seriously planning to build my first electric guitar!
    and i dont know almost nothing about pickups.
    I look for good clean sound (i want a guitar for blues\rock\jazz)... also i want a fine sound to distortion...
    Dont too expensive - 177$ maximum all the pickups toghther.

someone recommend me seymour duncan ssl-1 vintage staggerad... and i checked in the internet and many others recommended it... in fact almost all say its perferct and it has low price...

the same guy recommended me about Sh-6 distortion humbucker also of seymour duncan... but the inspections were pretty bad.. what do you say?
    Can you recommend me about another cheap pick up for distortion?

another thing... What is the diferrence between a humbucker pick up and a single coil pickup?

thanks a alot
    Last edited by Noy Uzrad; 10-27-2004, 06:35 AM.

Re: Hello Im new choose a pickup

welcome to the forum!!
    i think that the ssl1 are a great choice for the neck and middle.
    for the bridge i think the sh4 jb, sh5 custom, or sh6 distortion would be good.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

listen to the sound samples and see what sounds good to you

Comment

Re: Hello Im new choose a pickup

Originally posted by Noy Uzrad
      What is the diferrence between a humbucker pick up and a single coil pickup?
      Welcome to the Forum Noy. We're glad to have you here.

Like their name would suggest, single coil pickups are a single coil of copper wire wrapped around a bobbin and a magnet or series of magnets. In addition to picking up the string vibrations, they often also pick up "hum," which occupies a frequency equal to the rate which electricity flows in your country. In the USA, it's 60 cycles per second, so Americans call this "60 cycle hum."

In 1955, a design engineer at Gibson by the name of Seth Lover, figured out a way to wire two single coils together in such a way that they were wired in series and magnetically out of phase. The result: the pickups canceled, or "bucked" the hum. Hence, the humbucker was born.

I hope that helps.
      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
      X