Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting back on split Jazz+JB sound

Originally posted by No effects
    I have the same Jazz/JB set up in my LP Standard and also wanted to split the coils. I called my tech last night and he told me to come over as this could be done in about 5 minutes. He wasn't kidding: all he had to do on each pup is connect two of the wires to an open spot on its respective tone pot (no need for push-pull pots either). The way is works is as follows: your tone control works from 0 to 8 and the pup goes into split mode when the tone is set to 10. We plugged the guitar into a clean amp and it worked perfectly, and although we couldn't turn up too loud, you could really hear the difference: the split mode was a lot brighter and not as thick or sustained as full HB mode (just what you would expect). I can't wait for our next band practice to try it out through my plexi!

P.S. my tech also said that he preferred wiring HB's in parralel instead of coil splitting, because of the coil-split's hum, but we'll see. BTW you do need the push/pull pots for series/parrallel wiring.
    Well I put this to a test with our 5-piece band last night and it's a definite winner: HB and SC sounds on one guitar (very convincing SC tone!), the hum is not noticeable at band volumes and it's a really simple, inexpensive mod that only adds to your tone arsenal, without taking anything away.

Re: Reporting back on split Jazz+JB sound

Thanks for the info!

As soon as my Jazz neck arrives I'm doing the same mod - except I'm going to replace my tone pots with push/pull pots. The pickup will split when I pull either respective tone knob. I'm excited to hear the results!

How would you compare your SC equipped LP (that sounds funny) to the tone of a Strat? Is it at all similar?

Comment

Working...
    X