banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearly Gates with Nickle Covers in an LP - My review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates with Nickle Covers in an LP - My review!

I finally took the plunge and ordered a pearly gates set with nickel covers on for my LP. I originally had burstbucker pros on there, which whilst good didn't deliver what I wanted, which was a sweet, round, thick, creamy singing tone, similar to Warren Haynes.
    I opted for the Pearly Gates set though was a little concerned reading some reviews where people felt the bridge pup was too harsh and trebly.
    I plugged in last night at our bands rehearsal room. I use 11s with a fairly high action into a 100w Marshall SL-X (2100 SL-X) valve head into a flat fronted Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s (1960BV), no effects other than a Wah-Wah. The result … gulp…. Awesome! Through my rig I don't get the harsh treble that some people complain of, maybe due partly to the nickel covers? I get exactly what I wanted, sweet, round, thick, creamy singing tone, similar to Warren Haynes but can also kick out clipped harmonics that can tear your head off. My sound is now somewhere between Warren's tone on the new Allman Bros live CD and early Mule. Haven't had chance to fully experiment as I didn't want to bore the other band members. Lets just say I left the rehearsal room last night with a grin from ear to ear. Just what I wanted!
    Thanks you guys who suggested these pups to me!
    I'll give you everything but my guitar and my car

Re: Pearly Gates with Nickle Covers in an LP - My review!

Great, another believer! The PGs are awesome pick-ups... The bridge isn't harsh to my ears either, play a lot with your tone control, its so versatile it's scary! Enjoy!

Comment

Hmmmm....now I want to try the PGs. I had heard they can be a little plastic sounding so I avoided.

How is it for heavier styles? Nice and full, thick?

Comment

yep - very full and thick. Not really tried it yet on the heavier stuff - hopefully that will be next rehearsal!
        I'll give you everything but my guitar and my car

Comment

Originally posted by spidey
          yep - very full and thick. Not really tried it yet on the heavier stuff - hopefully that will be next rehearsal!
          It seems like it is EQed similar tothe Custom according to the charts. I also considered the CC, but the PG seems like it might be tighter. Are they that much better than the BB Pros??

I know the guitarist of System of a Down uses the PG and so does Tony Rombolla of Godsmack. How about pinch hardmonics? Heard they can be small and squeeky like the BB Pros. I am loving the thicker harmonics of the C-5.

Comment

The PG set is awesome. If you've got a decent high-gain amp, you can really nail Warren's tone with those pups. Definitely fiddle with the Tone knob on the bridge pup. It makes a big difference if you are getting some piercing highs.

Don't you love the neck pup? It sings so sweetly!
            Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

pg RULE!!

papersoul, you were asking about the harmonics? these pups were first made for billy gibbons of zz top, check out the 2nd solo in the song la grange. its almost all harmonics. the pg is great for harmonics

Comment

Working...
              X