banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

les paul standard double cut: pickup choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• les paul standard double cut: pickup choices?

I recently bought a 2001 LP Std. DC; nice flame top in trans amber and gold hardware. This one plays good and has a nice resonance to it. The problem is the stock pickups (490R,498T). I just don't like the way they sound. I'm looking for a more vintage sound, smoother and more open.
    These guitars are different from other LP std as they have a 24 fret neck so the neck pup is about 3/4" closer to the bridge which gives it a different tone. I'm leaning towards a Seth Lover set or Seth neck and PG bridge.
    If there are any LP DC users out there that could lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated.
    I play alot of blues, R&B, Smooth jazz, classic rock, oldies, and anything else I can get my mind around. I currently play a Strat and an ES345.

Re: les paul standard double cut: pickup choices?

Rob,

First welcome...My brother has one and he had the same problem you are having...At first we got him an Alnico II pro for the neck and a Custom Custom for the bridge...that comboreally kicks ass, but he is now wanting something more vintage so we're thinking about the Seth in the neck and a PG in the bridge..thgat combo should help you out...good luck

The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've never played the LP DC but I have a set of Seths in my LP Std and I love them. They are a huge improvement on the 498T / 490R and will easily cover the styles you mention. They can be smooth without being muddy and bright without being harsh.

Comment

Rob

The Seth Lover set is a real good choice for this axe , I more sceptic about the PGb & SLn combo. I tried this combo and the result was not so great , the SLn sounds too dark compared to the PGb which is bright and full of mids.
        But the combo SLb / PGn works much better , I have it installed on my PRS Santana and if gives great result . The SLb is warm and full of harmonics and the PGn gives precise tone , less dark than the SLn.
        Pickups used :
        Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
        PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
        PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
        PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
        PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
        PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
        PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
        PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
        PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
        Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
        Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
        SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Sounds like the seths are a good choice, but in general for a mahogany guitar and for those styles you mentioned id go a C5/Jazz combo.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

I like the Seth's and PG's a bunch as well. In a DC though, I'd go with the Seth's, because the double cutaway and 24 frets tend to make a guitar brighter than a single cutaway with 22 frets.

BTW, I remember some DC's being chambered. Is this the case with yours?
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

From what I've read I'd say Antiquities if you can afford them, if not like others said Seths would be great for what you want to do.

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone.
                The tone differences of these guitars is what I was trying to consider when choosing pickups. I figured the placement of the neck pup and the tone chambers would not be too dark with the Seth. I also think a set would be better than a mix, since I have 1 volume and 1 tone control only. It's harder to balance two very different pickups. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, RD.

Comment

Outputwise, the Seth's and Pearly Gates are very close, if anything, I feel the Seth bridge is a touch hotter than the PG bridge. That being said, their respective tonalities are quite different, which is surprising, being that they are both Alnico II based PAF clones.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the '59. I would try a Pearly Gates in the neck spot and a '59 in the bridge. I have a Hamer Studio, which is very similar to a doublecut LP, And I'm a fan of the Rio Grande BBQ for these guitars. It's a medium output pickup with a nice amount of bass and midrange, with softer highs. The Alnico II Pro is nice if you like Slash's lead sound, but it can be too dark sounding in certain guitars. I think your best bet would be a Pearly Gates in the neck, with either a '59 or BBQ in the bridge.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I thought about a 59 set, but figured they would be too bright. Trial and error here we go! RD.

Comment

I'd start with a '59/JB set...

Comment

Working...
                        X