1 Or 2 Batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Or 2 Batteries?

AS You saw on the otehr topic about the EMGS... i will use a pair of them ... but i would like to know if it is really necessary to use BOTH 9 volts batteries and if it is really necessary to use battery clips . could i fiz the batteries in the body(inside the body, of course) with a Adesive Tape ?!

Please, suggestions for my problems guys.
    Thank΄s in advance.
    J.P
    Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
    Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
    Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
    Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
    Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
    Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Re: 1 Or 2 Batteries?

EMGs only require one battery. That includes using more than one EMG pickup and/or their accessory circuits.

BUT, you can use two batteries to wire them up at 18 volts and it makes it more metal Seriously, the strength and power feels much stronger after doing the 18 volt wiring.

MJ
    EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

Good to see you round, WFD!

With EMGs, I would use a battery clip for the batteries, tape up the battery with gaffa tape (to stop it shorting out anything in the control cavity), then wrap some of the sponge it comes packaged in around it to stop it bumping around in the cavity (I neglected this point before, until the 'bumping' of the battery when I was moshing started coming through on my amp).

If you want to put 2 batteries in, there are 2 ways to do it:

1) Put both batteries in in parallel. This way, the pickups run at 9 volts, but you can leave it roughly twice as long between battery changes (this is what I currently do).

2) Put both batteries in series, to achieve the '18 volt mod'. This will give a little more headroom to your sound.

An idea I had a while ago (and haven't tried yet, not sure how well it will work) is to put 2 batteries in, with either a DPDT push/pull pot or DPDT mini-switch allowing me to switch the battery wiring between series and parallel.

I've got this idea that it would be cool having a swtich set to put the batteries in series (i.e. 18v) mode for rhythms, then switch it to parallel (i.e. 9v) to 'compress' (terminology?) the signal for leads. Or vice-versa, even

Comment

EMGs can actually run all the way up to 27v (3 batteries), but they claim the sound difference between 18 & 27 is VERY negligible. Anywho, I think the best sound from the 81 comes from an 18v series setup. They definitely sound ballsier that way.

I typically wrap my batteries in the spongey stuff, then wrap that with electric tape.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've got some clips of my "18-volted" EMG's... 60 neck 81 bridge if you're interested. They're crappy clips but you can hear the pups with the mod done and through my Metal Zone
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I don't see what the big thing is with the 18v for the EMG 81. i connected two 9v batteries + & - together with a wire, then put that in the battery clip for the other two + & -. the only difference i heard was in the clean tone, and even that was VERY doubtful. am i doing something wrong? or is it just THAT negligible?

Comment

Yeah, you most likely did something wrong. The first time I tried it, I was working off a bad diagram and I thought there was no difference, so I didn't try anything else. Then I saw someone else's diagram and it made sense, so I tried it and sure enough the second time was the right way to do it.

MJ
              EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

Originally posted by Warheart
                I don't see what the big thing is with the 18v for the EMG 81. i connected two 9v batteries + & - together with a wire, then put that in the battery clip for the other two + & -. the only difference i heard was in the clean tone, and even that was VERY doubtful. am i doing something wrong? or is it just THAT negligible?
                That would be a parallel connection- still 9volts. You need to connect the batteries in series to get 18volts. Using a single battery clip and wire as you described above: battery clip + terminal to battery #1 + terminal -> battery #1 - terminal to battery #2 + terminal -> battery #2 - terminal to battery clip - terminal. A better way would be to use two battery clips and connect the clips + and - terminals together.

Comment

Working...
                X