banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please 'splain the Duncan Dist to me........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please 'splain the Duncan Dist to me........

I read recently in a thread that it sounds like a "goosed" Custom.
    I really like the Custom in my LP,very versatile & clear,but still "heavy" enough when it has to be.
    Anyway,it'll go in a Dean '79 V(all mahogany,I think).
    I've got the neck Dist model in a different guitar(bolt-on),it's kinda too hot & toppy/hard to balance.

Thanx for any/all input.
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Re: Please 'splain the Duncan Dist to me........

The Distortion has a tight bottom end, tons of mids and just enough highs. It seems to be a little compressed in character. Harmonics jump out of the thing without even trying. Under high gain, it is the best metal riffing pickup ever. Surprisingly enough, it cleans up pretty well , too. The name "Distortion" throws a lot of people off. But it is surprisingly versatile. I tend to call it a Custom on steroids, without sounding sterile.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Bump.
      "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
        The Distortion has a tight bottom end, tons of mids and just enough highs. It seems to be a little compressed in character. Harmonics jump out of the thing without even trying. Under high gain, it is the best metal riffing pickup ever. Surprisingly enough, it cleans up pretty well , too. The name "Distortion" throws a lot of people off. But it is surprisingly versatile. I tend to call it a Custom on steroids, without sounding sterile.
        that's it really...I coundn't have said it any better
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Mmm,OK.

Thanx.
          "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
            I love it and the Gibson 500T. Not every guitar sounds good with a Distortion...the ones that dont get the 500T and vice-a-versa.

Comment

I thought the Distortoin was an all-around great rock/metal pickup....good for alot of things.

Comment

I have a Distortion in my Ibanez. It's a great pickup, but I can't say it cleans up well. I dislike the cleans very much I get from it, but then again... it's called the distortion. It's made to be used with distortion.

What I like to do is have both my Distortion bridge and Jazz neck on (middle position) and play clean lines. The sound is smooth and bluesy (characteristics of the Jazz) but at the same time CUTS through (distortion). I'm really impressed with how the two sound together. Great pickup combo, IMO.
                7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Judging by the neck model,I was thinking it may be a bit toppy.
                  As long as it's fat & tight,but still cuts,seems like it'll work well.
                  The definition needs to be really good,too,I'm a Gain-Head!!!
                  "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

The DD sounds great clean when I split it in my basswood schecter... nice and stratty, not quite as glassy and still a bit harsher maybe. I'm still convinced mine doesn't have enough clarity or definition... I'm going to try a low output pickup of some kind to see if that solves any of my problems, but having said all that it's a great pickup for riffing, and solo work, good enough that I'll be saving it for a future project.
                    dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Working...
                    X