500XL vs. SH-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500XL vs. SH-13

Dimebag Darrell has used both of these pickups.

My question is:
    What exactly is different about these pickups?
    Is there a big difference in tone, dynamics?

any help would be great, thanks.
    This space is for rent.

Re: 500XL vs. SH-13

dime came to duncan with his favorite sounding pup, he and seymour tried a bunch of stuff and refined the sound to get exactly what he wanted. he took it on the road to give it a real test and when duncan got the ok, they became available to the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      dime came to duncan with his favorite sounding pup, he and seymour tried a bunch of stuff and refined the sound to get exactly what he wanted. he took it on the road to give it a real test and when duncan got the ok, they became available to the rest of us.

Thanks a lot, man.
      This space is for rent.

Comment

There were a lot of rumors going around suggesting that only one or two of Dime's guitars had this p'up, and while it may have been true during Beta Testing, I've also read from the man himself that 12 of his guitars now have this p'up.

Sounds like proof-positive, to me.

And no....I don't own a Dime, nor an XL500

I may put one in my "stunt-guitar", one day, though.

Comment

Dime didn't use an XL500, he used a custom wound pickup that was only available to him. He called it the XXL500.

Anyway, that pickup used alnico; the SH-13 uses ceramic. Plus, there are differences in magnet wire, number of turns, pitch, etc. Two totally different pickups.
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Working...
          X