Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New HB pickup idea: Feasible?

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
    That's a great idea, and I'd at least pay for one of those on my LP Goldtop w/pullup tones for splitting. Another idea might be to add a preamp to a LP like mine, so just like the Clapton strat, you can have a boost control to beef up the split humbuckers.
    If it's in humbucking mode, the boost would take your PAF's and turn them into something as hot as Customs or a Dimebucker. I've never messed with a preamp attached to passive pickups, but it does sound like an interesting idea.

Your pickup should be called the 'Barlo'

I have already decided that if this gets done...it should be the Doc Barlo Set!

GJ, I'm so glad that we're on the same page!!!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Dr. Barlo... the 59/Custom Hybrid would be smokin for you to try out... using the Custom coil slug and 59 screw then rewire one of your tone pots as a spin-a-split and you will have some great tones! The JD tele is wound with 43 guage just like the Custom coil... The spin-a-split produces a really cool tone when you turn it just a tiny bit above "0" as well!
      The full humbucker tone is like a "STRONG" PAF...
      This is how I have my guitars wired up... the single coil tone of the Custom slug coil is very convincing... a bit more Tele than Strat...
      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Thanks guys.

BtR, thanks for the information.

I tried the hybrid with various pickups. A custom custom and a 59b, another one with the same custom custom and a PGb. I even did one from a gibson 498T and a 490R. Did not work for me it wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be. That's why I think I am better off by sticking to the regular ~8.00K PAF's with #42 gauge wires.

BTW, I did not know JD was #43, I always thought it was done from #42, as Fralin's regular tele and blues special tele leads are done. The blues sp. I have measures something like 7.30K, and the JD is like 7.80K. I gotta say I am suprised. I think we wouldn't get Evan or Scott Miller chime in here and give the details about the wire and the insulation. Trade secrets and all, I respect that.

I was thinking along the lines of a PAF set (with that tapped slug bobin on both) with a standard 8.50K bridge and 7.80K neck both done with #42 Plain Enamel. Using the tap on the slug coil of both of them, I'd turn the slug coils into 7.30-50K on the bridge, and 6.00-30K in the neck. Both would then be Plain Enamel insulated, thus regarding the tele bridge, there wouldn't be any problems. The vintage strats are with Heavy Formvar, so the tapped slug of the neck wouldn't be a very accurate strat single coil, but it is a trade-off anyway, in which I don't wanna sacrifice the PAF tone, rather the single coil tones.

Actually, at first I was thinking of using the screw bobin in the neck, but reading through Seymour's q and A, I came across the following:

Originally posted by from Seymour's Q and A
        101. What is a quick way to make a humbucker sound like a single coil pickup for doing sessions? Art Weber-Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania
        I’ve found the easiest way to convert your standard humbucker to a single coil sound (if you don’t have any coil splitting switches) is to remove one row of adjustable poles in your pickup. By removing the adjustable poles you are using only the stud side of a typical humbucker. You actually have a stronger magnetic field on the stud side of the pickup than the adjustable side using 5/40 x 3/4” long fillister head screws. You can easily put them back in when your done the session. Make sure you don’t use a screw driver wider than the screw head as you could burr or scrape the bobbin.
        That's why I now think that asking for the tap on the slug coils is a better option.

Maybe I should shut up and send an email to MJ, and hear what she has to say.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

when you split it, you want the slug coil to be the one your using...you also want that to be the one with the "extra" windings...and if it can be done that coil should have alnico rods, while the screw coil has an alnico bar, and normal windings. Trust me when I tell you that MJ can also make special bobbins which may enable her to also put a tele plate on the botton of one coil on the bridge bucker! I saw, call her and see what she says...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
            when you split it, you want the slug coil to be the one your using...you also want that to be the one with the "extra" windings...
            Right on bro!

...and if it can be done that coil should have alnico rods, while the screw coil has an alnico bar, and normal windings.
            Of that I am not too sure. As I am saying I don't wanna give in from my PAF HB tone. And using rod magnets might change the magnetic field and thus in the "standard" mode could result in a more condensed tone. I dunno. I feel like I'd rather go with slug coils transferring the magnetic field from the bar magnet underneath. No?

Trust me when I tell you that MJ can also make special bobbins which may enable her to also put a tele plate on the botton of one coil on the bridge bucker! I saw, call her and see what she says...
            The slugs are already touching the baseplate of the HB, no? I therefore think that whole deal would have a baseplate (tele-like) both on the bridge and neck.

You are right, should contact the CS. Anyway here I definitely got what I wanted from you guys. Thanks fellas. And none of you said, "C'mon man that's stupid, shame on you..." and such.

B
            Last edited by dr.barlo; 11-02-2004, 05:46 AM.

Comment

as far as bar magnet vs. rods & bar magnets...don't know...MJ will though! Althought the more I think about it, you'd probley be fine with slugs and a bar magnet...that should still give some pretty good strat/tele tones...with the extra windings that is!!!

Comment

I am not 100% sure on the guage of the JD... but I am pretty certain it is 43
                GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Thanks man.

B

Comment

Working...
                  X