SM-1 mini-humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM-1 mini-humbucker

Has anyone here tried/owned this pickup? Especially at the neck position, since I'm thinking it might be a nice replacement for my tele neck pup. How's the clean tone? I'm contemplating between this and the Antiquity mini-hum, and want to know if the extra $40 for the Ant. would be justified or not

Re: SM-1 mini-humbucker

Hey Dr. Space.

I have a new Fender Lite Ash Tele and I'm having Seymour put an SM-1n in the neck position. I'll let you know how is sounds as soon as I give it listen-to (c'mon Seymour, hurry up, will ya?).

Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I have an SM-1 in the neck of my strat, and it sounds amazing
      "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

Originally posted by FireBros.
        I have an SM-1 in the neck of my strat, and it sounds amazing
        how would you describe the tone? how does it compare to the stock neck pup you had in there before? how about output?

Comment

also maybe evan or someone can answer this question... from a pic I've seen of the SM-1 it looked like it had the "S" logo on the pickup and no pole pieces, is this correct? is there anyway to get rid of that "S" logo?

also, are they wax-potted?
          Last edited by dr space; 10-31-2004, 04:11 PM.

Comment

It seems to be a little fatter, in the low mids, less brittle in the highs, but still really sounds like a strat. I love it combined with the middle pickup, super fat, but lots of quack. I'm thinking of putting a sm3 in the bridge as well. Mine does have the "S" logo on the cover, and it does not have adjustable pole pieces, but that has never been a problem in my set up. The output works very well with my bridge and neck pickups. I have my strat set up so that you can switch between neck, neck & middle, neck & bridge, bridge & middle, or just bridge. None of the positions have noticeable volume drop.
            "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

I haven't heard the SM-1n, but I have an SM-3n in the neck slot of an ash American Tele and it sounds great. It's a very interesting and toneful blend of hollow, woody SC tone and full, compressed HB tone. It has plenty of low end and enough high end to deliver some nice pinch harmonics, and the low mid growl is really cool. I have it paired with a Nocaster lead pickup, which has just enough juice to keep up with it -- they sound really nice together, too. This guitar is my mini-Albert Collins model -- all the Albert I deserve anyway.

I think Benjy has an SM-1n paired with a JD lead, so you might look for some of his posts on Teles.

Comment

I have SM-1 in neck position of Fender Ash tele. I still don't know how to describe the tone, it's definately not full size humbucker tone. It's not single coil tone. It's between two. Fatter than single coil but sparkier than full size humbucker but not as sparky as single coils. It doesn't have annoying single coil thin sound. If humbucker and singlecoil got married and had a baby, it would be minibucker.
                "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

well I finally decided to go with the SM-1 rather than the Antiquity... and I'm really excited to put it in my tele.

One thing though, I don't really like the "S" that is on the pickup cover, if I cover that up with a small amount of black electrical tape, will that affect the tone at all?

Comment

Working...
                  X