Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Rails SONGS

Originally posted by skyydogg01
    morrello usually uses a neck single coil on about 95% of his sounds. he only uses the hotrails for solos/noises. he only uses it if he needs a hotter sound.
    Im not so sure about that. His "Arm the Homeless" guitar has EMG Humbucking pickups (not sure of the model, one of the 80's)

Also, he turns the volume completely off on one of his pickups and uses the toggle as a kill switch. I always thought it was the neck he turned completely off. Maybe you know something I dont? If so, please share! Morello is one of my favorite guitarists so I'd like to know as much as possible about him.
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I do have a good close up picture, which I would be glad to post or send when I find it...which might take a while...it is used for mostly Drop B stuff...the Telecaster is used mostly for Drop D...and FYI, the Soul POwer Strat(With the HotRail was only used for a few overdubs on the Audioslave Record...he got it just before the record was done...the bulk of that record is the Arm the homeless guitar). BTW, has anyone noticed that that guitar has an Ibanez Lic. Floyd on it, I only mention it because, it suposedly came from Fender like that!!!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the arm the homeless guitar has been retired
        telecaster used mostly for drop d
        the soul power strat does have an ibanez floyd on it. he prefers it to the newer (more stable) bridges that ibanez has out now.
        the soul power strat also has a KILL switch as well as the standard 5 way to do his volume/toggle thingy.
        to my knowledge, he has never used emg's, but his arm the homeless does have humbuckers.
        -Greg

Guitars:
        2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
        2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
        2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
        Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01
          the arm the homeless guitar has been retired
          telecaster used mostly for drop d
          the soul power strat does have an ibanez floyd on it. he prefers it to the newer (more stable) bridges that ibanez has out now.
          the soul power strat also has a KILL switch as well as the standard 5 way to do his volume/toggle thingy.
          to my knowledge, he has never used emg's, but his arm the homeless does have humbuckers.
          The Arm the homeless has EMG's...and it was used for almost ALL of the Audioslave record.

The Telecaster stayes in Drop D

I just find it strange that Fender used an Ibanez trem, on one of their guitars

The kill switch on the soul power strat is just like the one on the Creamy guitar...on the ATH guitar hid did turn down the NECK pickup to do the gateing FX...

as far as the neck pickup remark...tom uses the neck ppup on the tele almost all the time...but really only on that guitar.

The Red and white Ibanez 335, has several built in FX...including a whammy pedal...

The Cherry EDS-1275 is STOCK...

He used a Les Paul Standard on the Audioslave record to back up the Drop B tracks...and in his won words used the "rock" pickup...meaning the bridge...this guitar sees quite a bit of live use with Audioslave

The Ibanez Talman...has a pickup booster built in that never worked right...when Tom heard the sound it made he told them to leave it alone.

He also has a baby blue Roadstar II with a single EMG, volume control and a kill switch that was a backup for the ATH guitar...

and for the record...not changing your tubes will not give you some kind of signature tone or any kind of mojo...

One of the most overlooked things it that most people play marshalls with celestion speakers...which have a very signature type of sound...Tom uses and old PV cab which has Peavey "Ram Drivers"...these speakers were made for PV by Eminence...they have a very transparent tone...letting the Marshall have a sound most people with Marshall amps would never have with celestion speakers...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
            and for the record...not changing your tubes will not give you some kind of signature tone or any kind of mojo...

One of the most overlooked things it that most people play marshalls with celestion speakers...which have a very signature type of sound...Tom uses and old PV cab which has Peavey "Ram Drivers"...these speakers were made for PV by Eminence...they have a very transparent tone...letting the Marshall have a sound most people with Marshall amps would never have with celestion speakers...
            No I never said it would give some type of mojo, but I know for a fact Morello has never changed the tubes in his JCM800 2205 (I posted 2210 earlier, my mistake. I'll edit the post now)

And you are completely right about the speaker/cab I just never knew the name of the speakers he was using.

This post has really gone off topic. I apologize, I'm partially to blame.
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

for another metal user
              check out the new arch enemy records
              the fast lead player (michael ammots bro - forgot his name) uses hot rails in the neck of his signature Caparison guitar
              u can tell from the solo tones which pickup it is
              listn out for blistering shred, that sounds like its in the neck position - thats him

the michael ammot solos are different - they are slower, so keep ur ears out and ull pick the right solos!

Ishan
              Guitars:
              Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
              Amps:
              Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Checking out everything now.

Bee
                Originally posted by Kanye West
                Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Oh and, by the way, for all those buttery tones (those are my favourites by far, Murrays solo on The Nomad, and the Rainmaker tones)... oh my... what pickups did he use? What guitar?!

Bee
                  Originally posted by Kanye West
                  Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

like i said, rainmaker was an old paul. maybe even a original 50's with the original 57's cos that sound is so buttery it's insane..

the solo on nomad can very well be the hotrail, but on studio albums you cannot be 100% unless you have it written or video footage

Comment

scott from fu manchu has been using the hotrails since at least "action is go"

and bob switched over from an sg w/ a jb when they went to the armstrong guitars .. california crossing ..

Thats like 4-5 albums worth of tunes ...
                      "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

Working...
                      X