banner

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST

Going through a forum upgrade Monday 1/24 @ 8pm PST. Forum should be down an hour or so.
See more
See less

what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

    I was reading through the past threads and came across a few topics that addressed the BBQ?
    i have a few questions of my own about it, first i know nothing about the rio grande company(no one famous uses these????)
    are they high quality made pu's?
    I really dug the JB that was stock in my kramer but felt i needed more low end girth,does this BBQ have a JB sound with more low end?
    how about it's output? is it the same as a JB?
    see i replaced the JB with a duncan custom in this guitar and like it but noticed that the custom does not quite sing like the JB did?
    so i want a JB that has more overall fattness, and low end punch?

  • #2
    Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

    I was reading through the past threads and came across a few topics that addressed the BBQ?
    i have a few questions of my own about it, first i know nothing about the rio grande company(no one famous uses these????)
    are they high quality made pu's?

    They are made by a family owned business and each one is hand wound.

    I really dug the JB that was stock in my kramer but felt i needed more low end girth,does this BBQ have a JB sound with more low end?

    DEFINETLY

    how about it's output? is it the same as a JB?

    Slightly less
    see i replaced the JB with a duncan custom in this guitar and like it but noticed that the custom does not quite sing like the JB did?

    The BBQ sounds huge with sweet mids. It excels at both ryhtym and lead playing.

    so i want a JB that has more overall fattness, and low end punch?

    The BBQ is PERFECT for what you're looking for!!! I have one in my 01' LP Std. and 02' EBMM Axis and couldn't be happier
    :afro:

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

      Originally posted by AmpliFIRE
      I was reading through the past threads and came across a few topics that addressed the BBQ?
      i have a few questions of my own about it, first i know nothing about the rio grande company(no one famous uses these????)
      are they high quality made pu's?

      They are made by a family owned business and each one is hand wound.

      I really dug the JB that was stock in my kramer but felt i needed more low end girth,does this BBQ have a JB sound with more low end?

      DEFINETLY

      how about it's output? is it the same as a JB?

      Slightly less
      see i replaced the JB with a duncan custom in this guitar and like it but noticed that the custom does not quite sing like the JB did?

      The BBQ sounds huge with sweet mids. It excels at both ryhtym and lead playing.

      so i want a JB that has more overall fattness, and low end punch?

      The BBQ is PERFECT for what you're looking for!!! I have one in my 01' LP Std. and 02' EBMM Axis and couldn't be happier

      thanks amplifire,I will order one today!
      how is the texas? i have a jazz in the neck now?
      the jazz is real nice since it has plenty O clarity

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

        I've own a BBQ and a JB so I can comment. First, yes high quality, very good pups.

        As far as the difference with the JB, if the EQ curve on the JB is this (based on the tone chart) 5/6/8 (bass, mid, treb), the BBQ would be like this 8/5/4.

        The BBQ is a great pup, has LOTS of low end, decent mids, but low on the highs. I'd say the output is a bit lower than a JB, maybe compareable to a Custom or so. I just put the JB back into my Epi LP, and I do find that it has a bit better harmonics, and more top end so I get more crunch out of it.

        My advice with pups always depends on your amp and your guitar. If you need more highs and maybe some more mids, I'd prbably go with the JB. If you need more low end and more "girth" like you described, then the BBQ would be a good choice.

        The texas neck is a wonderful pup. I left that in my Epi and will probably not replace it in the near future. Its thick, warm, smooth, has nice clarity, maybe a bit boomy on the bottom end but that's common to lots of "PAF" style neck pups. GREAT neck pup.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

          Originally posted by Jeff5
          I've own a BBQ and a JB so I can comment. First, yes high quality, very good pups.

          As far as the difference with the JB, if the EQ curve on the JB is this (based on the tone chart) 5/6/8 (bass, mid, treb), the BBQ would be like this 8/5/4.

          The BBQ is a great pup, has LOTS of low end, decent mids, but low on the highs. I'd say the output is a bit lower than a JB, maybe compareable to a Custom or so. I just put the JB back into my Epi LP, and I do find that it has a bit better harmonics, and more top end so I get more crunch out of it.

          My advice with pups always depends on your amp and your guitar. If you need more highs and maybe some more mids, I'd prbably go with the JB. If you need more low end and more "girth" like you described, then the BBQ would be a good choice.

          The texas neck is a wonderful pup. I left that in my Epi and will probably not replace it in the near future. Its thick, warm, smooth, has nice clarity, maybe a bit boomy on the bottom end but that's common to lots of "PAF" style neck pups. GREAT neck pup.
          thanks, but you mean to tell me that the bbq is that low in the high range?
          you posted a bass of 8 and a treble of 4?
          i would think that would make it a very muddy pu?
          I do like presence like the JB had but just more beef to go with it?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

            Hehe okay maybe bass of 7, high of 5. It is definately low on the highs. It can be muddy depending on your set up. I switched away from it because my set up is boogie power amps and pre-amp, and they naturally has tons of bass. With the high amount of bass on the BBQ it was way too much for me, and I couldn't EQ enough of it out or EQ enough of high end back in. Again it really depends on your guitar and amp.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

              Originally posted by Jeff5
              Hehe okay maybe bass of 7, high of 5. It is definately low on the highs. It can be muddy depending on your set up. I switched away from it because my set up is boogie power amps and pre-amp, and they naturally has tons of bass. With the high amount of bass on the BBQ it was way too much for me, and I couldn't EQ enough of it out or EQ enough of high end back in. Again it really depends on your guitar and amp.
              oh i get it
              bright amp/rig+ BBq= perfect
              mid/bass heavy amp/rig+BBq= mud city/chuck it in the trash can pup

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

                I had a JB in my guitar, I found it a bit to harsh, I knew nothing about Rio Grande pickups, except in the UK they are expensive, anyway, I put a BBQ in place and I would NEVER use another pup in that position on my guitar, I am awaiting the Texas to replace my Jazz neck. I would say ..go for it, you will not be sorry.

                Jon
                Scottish, born and bred.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

                  Originally posted by SABOTAGE
                  oh i get it
                  bright amp/rig+ BBq= perfect
                  mid/bass heavy amp/rig+BBq= mud city/chuck it in the trash can pup


                  Hehe. Well I wouldn't say throw it out! I'd say save it for a guitar/amp set up that is really bright. I know Pauls are supposedly really bright, but mine is an Epi, undoubtably not made with quality of wood etc., that a real Paul is so its really not that bright of a guitar. (at least I don't think so) And my amp is naturally very dark/bassy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

                    One thing I have found is that the natural tone of your guitar will still come through with the BBQ which is a good thing! All my guitars that have had BBQ's sounded great, but different!

                    I find the BBQ, dark, thick, warm, syrupy, harmonically rich, aggressive, and fairly articulate. But, it was anything but dark in my LP with 500k pots and aluminum tail so go figure.

                    As a contrasting point of view...this is what someone else had to say. This was sent via an email by a friend:
                    "overall it's a pretty good bucker, good harmonics but it seemed i had to work to get at them, great balance, heavy on the mids, a little dark when adding distortion which seems it doesnt cut like i like it, but for a rythm only pickup it would be good, I think it lacked in top end for lead and soloing, output was good clean and dirty, has a slightly modern tone to it. It seemed like after a few minutes of playing i got about all i could out of it and kind of got a little bored with the tone, it just seemed straight on one diminsion, maybe it is just me, but i felt it lacked a little in character."

                    This is not how I feel, but that goes to show you how we all perceive things differently, not to mention the guitar will play a big part.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: what is the deal with this rio BBQ model?

                      Originally posted by SABOTAGE
                      thanks amplifire,I will order one today!
                      how is the texas? i have a jazz in the neck now?
                      the jazz is real nice since it has plenty O clarity
                      My pleasure . I really like the Texas as well. It's a bit hotter than the Jazz and doesn't clean up as well. It's a great HB for lead playing and semi-dirty cleans if that makes sense.
                      :afro:

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X