banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-Rails...is it supposed to sound like this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P-Rails...is it supposed to sound like this??

This could help:

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I have been using the original P-rails since they first came out. I installed them in a 2001 Epi LP and thay have been excellent. I really like the series humbucker mode fro most of the music I play, but not so much for clean stuff. I also like the P90 and parallel sounds as well. But......

I just purchased a Epi LP Pro/fx with a Floyd Rose bridge. I am not a fan of the stock Epi pickups and have been considering my options including the JB/Jazz, JB/59, and Custom/59. I love Seymour duncan pickups. I have Alnico II's in a Gibson LP and the JB/Jazz in a Jackson. So I thought why not try the P-rails in this guitar?

The result was a dark series humbuckers in the bridge. It seemed that the rail became better and the P90 sounded about the same, maybe a little darker. The neck pickup was about the same. Ssearching I found this thread. So I decided to flip the bridge around so that the rail was closer to the Floyd. Definately decreased the darkness. It is the tyipical distortion sound I was looking for but still a little dark and the bass note aren't quite what I prefer, but some very usable tones. The P90 is about the same and the rail became even better.

I will probably put these back in the other guitar, but the results were good flipping the pickup. I have thought about replacing the .47 cap with a .22 or .20 but I just don't think this is the pickup I want for this guitar. Close, but not quite.

I think the problem with this guitar compared to my other fixed bridge is the distance from the bridge intonation point to the pole pieces. On the Floyd the pole pieces are a bit further away which tends to make it sound closer to the bridge pickup and darker. In fact, when playing with both prails active in series the sound is very close to of the neck position only. Overall in all modes, before turning the pu around there just wasn't enough distinction between the neck and bridge (I am not saying none, just not the usual). With I switched it is better, but still not quite what I want.

So, what do you think, JB or Custom? I want a fairly tight (not like the spongier alinico II) bridge pickup with increased output over say a 59 (not death metal output). I typically like lower output alnico II pickups like 57 classics. This guitar needs the qualities I like in the prails, higher output, great sustain, and excellent harmonics, but not dark. I kind of think this guitar is a little dark already.

Comment

Howdy GuitarDoc,

I wanted check in to see if you have any post-Final updates on your experiments with the P-Rails Hot?

Are the pickups still a favorite? Still using one polished A5 and on unoriented roughcast?
        Any guesses where A4s might have taken this adventure?

Can one run two unoriented roughcast A5s or will they fight each other?

DeVille

Comment

Hi, new here. I'm trying break free of active pickups and the looking through the high output pickups the SHPR-2 seems worth a try but, my main guitar has a trem and I noticed that there is TBSH-1b but no TB version of the SHPR-2; Do I even need a TB version since the pickup is DC 23K Ohms, Rail side is 2.270'' and the P side is 1.925'', From FAQ's
          (TB) Trembuckers string spacing of 2.070", (SH) Humbuckers spacing of 1.930".
          Am I going to run into problem with the SH version or should I contact the custom shop for a TB version?

Any one's response will be great.

Also this video is what brought my attention to the SHRP-2.
          <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oDjOAU9YjHE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
          My preview had a white box, here's the link if doesn't show http://youtu.be/oDjOAU9YjHE?hd=1&t=34s
          Last edited by MetalMouth13; 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMouth13 View Post
            Hi, new here. I'm trying break free of active pickups and the looking through the high output pickups the SHPR-2 seems worth a try but, my main guitar has a trem and I noticed that there is TBSH-1b but no TB version of the SHPR-2; Do I even need a TB version since the pickup is DC 23K Ohms, Rail side is 2.270'' and the P side is 1.925'', From FAQ's
            Am I going to run into problem with the SH version or should I contact the custom shop for a TB version?

Any one's response will be great.

Also this video is what brought my attention to the SHRP-2.
            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oDjOAU9YjHE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
            My preview had a white box, here's the link if doesn't show http://youtu.be/oDjOAU9YjHE?hd=1&t=34s
            I don't think you will have any problem with the spacing, especially if you mount the bridge P-Rails with the rail next to the bridge.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_with_v View Post
              I have been using the original P-rails since they first came out. I installed them in a 2001 Epi LP and thay have been excellent. I really like the series humbucker mode fro most of the music I play, but not so much for clean stuff. I also like the P90 and parallel sounds as well. But......

I just purchased a Epi LP Pro/fx with a Floyd Rose bridge. I am not a fan of the stock Epi pickups and have been considering my options including the JB/Jazz, JB/59, and Custom/59. I love Seymour duncan pickups. I have Alnico II's in a Gibson LP and the JB/Jazz in a Jackson. So I thought why not try the P-rails in this guitar?

The result was a dark series humbuckers in the bridge. It seemed that the rail became better and the P90 sounded about the same, maybe a little darker. The neck pickup was about the same. Ssearching I found this thread. So I decided to flip the bridge around so that the rail was closer to the Floyd. Definately decreased the darkness. It is the tyipical distortion sound I was looking for but still a little dark and the bass note aren't quite what I prefer, but some very usable tones. The P90 is about the same and the rail became even better.

I will probably put these back in the other guitar, but the results were good flipping the pickup. I have thought about replacing the .47 cap with a .22 or .20 but I just don't think this is the pickup I want for this guitar. Close, but not quite.

I think the problem with this guitar compared to my other fixed bridge is the distance from the bridge intonation point to the pole pieces. On the Floyd the pole pieces are a bit further away which tends to make it sound closer to the bridge pickup and darker. In fact, when playing with both prails active in series the sound is very close to of the neck position only. Overall in all modes, before turning the pu around there just wasn't enough distinction between the neck and bridge (I am not saying none, just not the usual). With I switched it is better, but still not quite what I want.

So, what do you think, JB or Custom? I want a fairly tight (not like the spongier alinico II) bridge pickup with increased output over say a 59 (not death metal output). I typically like lower output alnico II pickups like 57 classics. This guitar needs the qualities I like in the prails, higher output, great sustain, and excellent harmonics, but not dark. I kind of think this guitar is a little dark already.
              If the P-Rails is too dark in your guitar, try putting in an A4 mag next to the P-90 coil.

Do you have the P-Rails standard or hot version? If you have the hot version, then that is your problem. It can be very dark sounding with those 2 A8 mags. Replace at least the P-90 A8 with an A5 or even an A4 and you should be good to go (assuming that you have it mounted with the rail coil toward the bridge). If it's still too dark, replace the rail coil's A8 with an A5.

Comment

PS...definitely replace the .047 cap with a .022 or .015. The .047 is too muddy.

Comment

I hate to be the guy who's late to the party, but to all the "flippers", did you flip the neck pickup as well as the bridge, or just the bridge? thanks.

Frank Falco, any thoughts on flipping the neck (so the rail is closer to the neck)?

Comment

Originally posted by dmkozak View Post
                    I hate to be the guy who's late to the party, but to all the "flippers", did you flip the neck pickup as well as the bridge, or just the bridge? thanks.

Frank Falco, any thoughts on flipping the neck (so the rail is closer to the neck)?
                    It doesn't make much difference flipping the neck pup, but it depends on your guitar...if it's got 24 frets. It will make a bigger difference with the rail coil than the P-90.

Comment

Working...
                    X