No announcement yet.

Problems with cutting through the mix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problems with cutting through the mix.

BTW with your c5/bb pro loaded LP, why don't you try the following tone: Mid position (wait don't diss that right away), bridge vol 10 tone to be adjusted later (I would say somewhere around 7 8), neck vol 8-9 depending on your setup, and neck tone at 2-3 (specifically the spot after which it becomes blur). That might work!
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
      And cutting through does not have much to do with the output. I think for me setup custom was not good at all. Ok gibson 500T was aweful, but custom was not good either.

In terms of the cut through index I just came up in my head my first choice would be the glorious timbuckers, then rolphs, then a5/a3 modded ants and PG+. As you see all are PAF clones, and that PAF thing is really built to cut through. All those are bright, but tone controls are done for a reason, don't forget that.

C.C. has other nice things to offer. It is thicker, and cuts through in a different way. You know how I feel about BBQ hence I am not gonna repeat that. CC is great, yet on dark amps you might need the extra punch of the c5. Then a3 magnets are life savers!
      Hi Doc! All I can say is that to me the BBQ sounds so thick and rich and down right mean and aggressive!

Now, since installing the C-5 in my LP.....I find I am fairly bright from clean to heavy and again I am running a Line 6 Vetta II head and cab for gigs. I just wish I could get more "meat" from the C-5 and less of a bright edge. I guess the CC and C-5 are considered PAF?

I am afraid to try the JB because DO NOT want less bass. I like a beefy low end. The BBQ sounds rich and thick next to my C-5. But, these are different guitars. The BBQ is in my Dean Evo which is darker than my LP and not as lively....so I realize I may feel different about it in my LP.

I also do want to try the CC as you say Doc.

What about the Timbuckers? I talked to him and he said they are very clear....are they thick?

Also Doc, I have goor quality 500k CTS audio taper pots and .022 caps so I do have a lot of control with roll-off. I'll try your setting.

I also may end up with a Timbucker in the bridge.
      I notice you keep pointing me to the CC.

PS.......I talked to a guy who owns a store in central PA....good guy and gigs all the time! He recommended over all others, the Rio set for me as he said he has tried everything and always comes back to the Rios. I have to go witrh what my ears like and so far they are it. I would LOVE to find a Duncan or other p'up that has the thickness and bass of the BBQ but a tad more highs and clarity. Something that compresses well, is round, warm and tight even under high gain. Does it exist??
      Last edited by papersoul; 04-10-2004, 09:47 AM.

Comment

You can raise the pole peices on the middle strings a little bit, thats what i do with mine as well as dial in some mids and cut out some bass on my amp. The C-5 sounds great live...with the proper settings, im playing a big show tonight with one.
        PRS Singlecuts
        Epiphone Sheraton II
        Vintage acoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Push to Shuv
          You can raise the pole peices on the middle strings a little bit, thats what i do with mine as well as dial in some mids and cut out some bass on my amp. The C-5 sounds great live...with the proper settings, im playing a big show tonight with one.
          Thanks, I do have the poles adjusted or radiused even though I had recently switched to having them flush but I find a more focused tone with them raised or radiused. I have the C-5 about 1/16" from the strings also. I just find it too nice sounding. The Rio BBQ is flat out mean sounding and aggressive.

I feel like I still want more deep lows like with the BBQ in my Dean Evo Premium. Maybe it really is that guitar, because the Dean is very dark and deep sounding. My LP is more out front, brighter and lively, while still sounding deep. I just need to find the right pickup to balance. I feel at the moment with the C-5 in my LP.......I'd like a meaner toner, more aggressive, thicker, maybe a tad more bass. Not more output!

I find the JB lacking in deep bass to really fill out the tone. For our style of aggressive 90's rock meets modern hard rock/metal, I need an aggressive tone with more meat and low end. I know the guitar is a midrange instrument but I notice a big difference in the depth of my tone when a p'up has in your face bass.

Comment

bump, if you don't mind.

Comment

Working...
            X