Alnico II in JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico II in JB?

ok, so, im thinking the JB will be too bright to put in my basswood guitar, and some fellas in the forum recommended putting in Alnico II Magnets or 250k pots or something (im kinda nubish to the subject sorry) So, if one of yall could give me some info on what magnets i should put in the JB so it will give out some more bass or something of that nature. Where to get it done, the cost, etc. I would appreciate it. Thanks
    There is no spoone
    - The Matricks

Re: Alnico II in JB?

Hey Armotron; If you aren't in a big hurry, I'm going to be putting a JB into a basswood Peavey Genny, sometime in the next week. (The one in my sig.)
    I'll let you know how it sounds.

Also, JB's tend to be in reasonable demand in the Trading Post. You may want to consider trading it, rather than doing a magnet swap. Just a thought.

Anyway, I'll report on the JB-in-basswood soon.

Artie

Comment

Thanks, that would be awesome if you could tell me the outcome of that, i would appreciate it. What do you think i should trade the JB for if the JB ends up not sounding good in that wood, I will most likely combine my choice with an APH-2 in the neck. Well thanks, and get me that info as soon as u can on the JB.
      There is no spoone
      - The Matricks

Comment

Firts...a jb is kind bright IMO W/ 500k pots...drop the value to 250k abnd you should be fine! If you did want to swap magnets...an alnico II would not give you more bass but it would be more mellow...which might come acress as having less treble. I hope this helped
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the insight. Well I think im gonna need one of u wise people to help me make a good decision on how to make a Basswood/ RW neck guitar sound really great. If one of u could just give ur best recommendation on what to do to make the guitar sound like really good for rock and blues and that good stuff, i would appreciate it. Thanks
          p.s. i think im thinking along the lines of Alnico 2, but that all depends.
          Last edited by Armotron; 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM.
          There is no spoone
          - The Matricks

Comment

You've captured my interest, too, Artie -- I've been looking for an excuse to take the Breeds out of my Jem!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ok, I'll see if I can get this done tomorrow. I just found out that I gotta go back to Norfolk on Thursday morning for an emergency repair on a carrier.

I really want to know what this sounds like before I go.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Artie

Comment

want some killer tone?? put the jb in the neck.....

Comment

Originally posted by fatigueofheart
                  want some killer tone?? put the jb in the neck.....
                  A friend of mine just did that to an alder Warmoth body ... its sounds killer!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

maybe steveo will see this...he has or has had a JB prototype...these have alnico II magnets...he likes thim I think...but they are very different from a stock JB
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Actually i put the jb in the neck with invader in the bridge, i hate it, thats the setup im changing from. No offense
                      There is no spoone
                      - The Matricks

Comment

Hey Armo; just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to get this done before I head out of town. I just have too many other things that need done before I leave.

I should be back late Monday though, and will do it soon after.

Hang in there.

Artie

Comment

Thats fine, thanks for trying Artie, I appreciate it.
                          There is no spoone
                          - The Matricks

Comment

The a2 JB is pretty cool. I had it in a tele for a while. Here are a couple of quick tunes that I recorded.
                            JB A2, Plexi, poplar Tele, dirty
                            Same guitar and amp, hot stack in neck
                            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Armotron
                              ok, so, im thinking the JB will be too bright to put in my basswood guitar, and some fellas in the forum recommended putting in Alnico II Magnets or 250k pots or something (im kinda nubish to the subject sorry) So, if one of yall could give me some info on what magnets i should put in the JB so it will give out some more bass or something of that nature. Where to get it done, the cost, etc. I would appreciate it. Thanks
                              I had a JB in the bridge of my Ibanez RG550 (Basswood body/Rosewood fingerboard) for a long time. It sounded really good and was not too toppy at all. The stock JB has very healthy midrange already. I've heard that the A2 JB sounds good, but I'd have to think it was even more midrangey than a CC (if that is possible). It probably would make the low end a little more spongy, but not necessarily muddy. It's hard to go wrong with a JB.
                              My Gear:
                              Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                              Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                              Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                              TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Working...
                              X